Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why are r3 tires so skinny? Like even ktc 125 and aprilia 125cc bikes have 150 rear tires yet the 321cc r3 has 140 rear. Why do smaller bikes than the r3 get bigger tires? Does that mean that I can easily upgrade to 160 tires in the rear and 120 in the front as it is a bigger bike than the aprilia 125 and ktm

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It has nothing to do with the size of the bike, but what wheels it uses. The rear wheel on these is a 4.0". Most 140/150 tires are meant for 4" wheels. 160/165 are meant for 4.5" wheels, and so on. Always look at what the tire manufacturers recommend.

Why do people always want bigger tires??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It has nothing to do with the size of the bike, but what wheels it uses. The rear wheel on these is a 4.0". Most 140/150 tires are meant for 4" wheels. 160/165 are meant for 4.5" wheels, and so on. Always look at what the tire manufacturers recommend.

Why do people always want bigger tires??
Because it looks so cool! Never mind possibly(not always though) ending up with crap handling when the bike has a big rear and front tire!

That said, the R3 has successfully been fitted with 150-160 tires.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Has anyone fitted a 120/70-17 on the front along with the 150/70-17 on the rear. I would like to know about the front fender clearance with the 120/70.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone fitted a 120/70-17 on the front along with the 150/70-17 on the rear. I would like to know about the front fender clearance with the 120/70.
I was wondering the same thing and this video confirms 120/70 front and 160/60 rear will fit, so I'm assuming the 150/70 will fit no problem.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Because it looks so cool! Never mind possibly(not always though) ending up with crap handling when the bike has a big rear and front tire!

That said, the R3 has successfully been fitted with 150-160 tires.
I know I'll be running 120/150 Pirelli SC's on mine, but it's not for coolness factor and because I'm wondering why Yamaha put "such skinny" tires on it; it's for racing and because there aren't many options available for race tires in other sizes that fit. Plus, even though I haven't been able to confirm this yet, I'm pretty sure the R3 still uses a 3.5" rim, like pretty much every other sport bike out there, so there's no reason to not have a 120 tire on the front. Pirelli recommends the 110 for 3.0" rims and the 120 for 3.5".

Reactions: jing

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well I was wrong about the front wheel...it is a 3" not a 3.5". Oh well, already ordered the tires. Guess I'll see how I like the 120 SC1 and then decide if I want a 110 for next time.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well I was wrong about the front wheel...it is a 3" not a 3.5". Oh well, already ordered the tires. Guess I'll see how I like the 120 SC1 and then decide if I want a 110 for next time.
I mentioned above people have done bigger tires with success on the bike. I have heard people using a 120 tire on the R3. Not sure if you read Jesse's blog bt his race report talks about a 165 ear and I believe a 120 as well. It's either his most current or next to last report on his site. Obviously you will be doing a few tweaks to the fork legs to comp for the change in geometry but if racers are doing it with success, then that means it may work out for you.

Edit: I have stock size S20's waiting for me to get off my ass and install them. I have used them with my old R3 and really liked them. I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly bigger 150 tire on the back, but as mentioned I sat my older bikes 120 front tire next to my R25 and it looked out of place.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I mentioned above people have done bigger tires with success on the bike. I have heard people using a 120 tire on the R3. Not sure if you read Jesse's blog bt his race report talks about a 165 ear and I believe a 120 as well. It's either his most current or next to last report on his site. Obviously you will be doing a few tweaks to the fork legs to comp for the change in geometry but if racers are doing it with success, then that means it may work out for you.

Edit: I have stock size S20's waiting for me to get off my add and install them. I have used them with my old R3 and really liked them. I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly bigger 150 tire on the back, but as mentioned I sat my older bikes 120 front tire next to my R25 and it looked out of place.
I know, and I've talked to a few on here that have ran the 120/150 combo, including Jesse, that's what prompted me to go with that. It's just that I thought the R3 uses a 3.5" front rim but I realized I was wrong about that. Pirelli actually recommends their 110 for the 3" rim...obviously it's possible to put the 120 on, just wondering how it would change the feel of the front end on the track. I'm one of those people that's always curious to compare things, so even if the 120 feels fine, I may try the 110 just to see the difference. Although, I suspect the 120 will provide a slightly bigger patch and will turn-in quicker since it's being a bit squished on the rim.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I know, and I've talked to a few on here that have ran the 120/150 combo, including Jesse, that's what prompted me to go with that. It's just that I thought the R3 uses a 3.5" front rim but I realized I was wrong about that. Pirelli actually recommends their 110 for the 3" rim...obviously it's possible to put the 120 on, just wondering how it would change the feel of the front end on the track. I'm one of those people that's always curious to compare things, so even if the 120 feels fine, I may try the 110 just to see the difference. Although, I suspect the 120 will provide a slightly bigger patch and will turn-in quicker since it's being a bit squished on the rim.
They say curiosity killed the cat. Not sure how true that is but it's been killing bank accounts of people like you and I.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
They say curiosity killed the cat. Not sure how true that is but it's been killing bank accounts of people like you and I.
Hahahaha! So true, so so true! A couple of years ago I started running through the math of how much more money I probably would've had now had I never got into riding motorcycles. I never finished my calculations because it was getting too ridiculous and I almost started to cry lol

Although knowing myself, I likely would've found other hobbies to spend my money on, so probably would've been in the same boat roughly.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hahahaha! So true, so so true! A couple of years ago I started running through the math of how much more money I probably would've had now had I never got into riding motorcycles. I never finished my calculations because it was getting too ridiculous and I almost started to cry lol

Although knowing myself, I likely would've found other hobbies to spend my money on, so probably would've been in the same boat roughly.
Happiness is priceless - you only live once and it's worth enjoying :) . My dad always used to tell me "Save up all your money until you're 40 and then you can retire and do anything you want.".

I always said "What happens if you die by then? Life is too short to not enjoy every day of it." He's now almost 60 - never got to do anything he truly enjoyed as a major hobby and tells me I had the right philosophy all along (I used to feel this way in my teens, he thought I was just a silly teenager lol). I got myself in the same position, almost died looking up how much $$ I spent modifying my car, spending on the bike, gear etc and I just couldn't continue. But in the end life is too short to not enjoy it :).

·
Registered
424 Posts
My experience with a 110 v 120 was on a ninja 300. I tried the 120 front looking for more edge grip whilst trail braking. Due to the different profile when it was squeezed onto the rim the 120 edge would be pretty much completely vertical and wouldn't give feedback when it was on the edge of available grip. The 110 gave definitive feedback when you were on the edge. Due to the feedback my confidence was higher with the 110 front

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I always said "What happens if you die by then? Life is too short to not enjoy every day of it." He's now almost 60 - never got to do anything he truly enjoyed as a major hobby and tells me I had the right philosophy all along.
The problem isn't "if you die". The problem is: you get older, and then you can't do all the things you used to do when you were younger.
You start having medical issues, and you are limited to what you can do. Why do you think you see so many OLD dudes on a Harley?
A Harley is a couch on two wheels. Hopefully your knees are good enough to hold the thing up at stoplights.
Otherwise.... you end up on a 3-wheel trike. God forbid. :|

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Happiness is priceless - you only live once and it's worth enjoying :) . My dad always used to tell me "Save up all your money until you're 40 and then you can retire and do anything you want.".

I always said "What happens if you die by then? Life is too short to not enjoy every day of it." He's now almost 60 - never got to do anything he truly enjoyed as a major hobby and tells me I had the right philosophy all along (I used to feel this way in my teens, he thought I was just a silly teenager lol). I got myself in the same position, almost died looking up how much $$ I spent modifying my car, spending on the bike, gear etc and I just couldn't continue. But in the end life is too short to not enjoy it :).
Exactly! My grandparents on my mother's side are excellent examples for me on how to NOT live my life. They're in their early 80s and never did anything worth while or fun all their lives. Never took any vacation trips anywhere. Never had any real hobbies. Only owned a car for several years and that was just to commute to work. Only lived in 2 places (20 miles away from each other) all their lives. BUUUT....they got money saved up in the bank. Yay! Congratulations! lol...no thanks! I could care less how much money I have when I die. I want to live and enjoy life. I can sit around and save money when I'm old and I can't get to do anything fun because I'm in poor health and grumpy...that's if I even make it that far! lol I suppose I can justify being a bit selfish since I have no kids and I'm not married, so I can say that ideally when I die I should have $0 to my name. That means I've used all of it as efficiently as possible! >:D

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Exactly! My grandparents on my mother's side are excellent examples for me on how to NOT live my life. They're in their early 80s and never did anything worth while or fun all their lives. Never took any vacation trips anywhere. Never had any real hobbies. Only owned a car for several years and that was just to commute to work. Only lived in 2 places (20 miles away from each other) all their lives. BUUUT....they got money saved up in the bank. Yay! Congratulations! lol...no thanks! I could care less how much money I have when I die. I want to live and enjoy life. I can sit around and save money when I'm old and I can't get to do anything fun because I'm in poor health and grumpy...that's if I even make it that far! lol I suppose I can justify being a bit selfish since I have no kids and I'm not married, so I can say that ideally when I die I should have $0 to my name. That means I've used all of it as efficiently as possible! >:D
The trick to enjoying life for me is finding the balance where you are not at either extreme of the spectrum. I fully understand, support and believe in enjoying life, but not at the cost of not having a secure future for my family. Fortunately for me I have found the balance where we get to do both. I've been all over the world, have taken trips with my wife and kids, have money saved, am securing my future, and can still have a good time. If we die with more money than needed, we could always just pass it down to the kids.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts