Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m not sure if this question has been asked already but I recently bought an R3 which was fitted with an akrapovic slip on to the oem system.

I went an bought a front system to replace the oem, but the full system has a totally different bend and has a much larger outlet diameter than the original CAT outlet.

Why are the 2 completely different ?
And will I have to modify my akrapovic silencer to fit ?

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
The OEM exhaust is built in compliance to noise and emissions regulations. The pipe diameter after the cat is usually that small for sub 500cc bikes.

The bends are different because slip ons are designed to work with the OEM routing, full exhausts are a straight shot back to the exhaust hanger.

You will have to modify your slip on exhaust to make it work but I would advise against it. You'll also need to buy a fuel controller and get it tuned. I'm not sure if you're willing to spend an extra $1000 on all that for at most 5hp, it's really only worthwhile for race bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
It's totally different as Milc pointed out already. The full system eliminates your cat and therefore, technically isn't street legal. There are other mods needed such as an ECU flash or fuel controller, plus you should remove the secondary air pump if you're going to go all the way.

It's also going to be a lot louder - but all of this is in the name of performance so if that's what you want, then this is what you'd need to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts