Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a slipper clutch for my R3. Does this seem like a waste of money?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
For a street bike I think it's a total waste of money. Even for the track working on technique and spending the money on more track days and/or coaching is a better way to spend $700+.
With that said, I love it having it on the track. No worries about locking up the rear tire when I mess up a downshift (wasn't happening often but the one really big one I had scared the crap out of me). There's also the ability to adjust engine braking some by swapping out the springs, but I haven't done much with that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unless you are so bad a rider that you are constantly breaking the rear tire loose while riding on the streets, no. Don't get a slipper for the R3. If you are so bad that you are indeed breaking the rear tire loose constantly, a slipper will only delay your inevitable crash.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
The only time I would have liked having one is when the temps got down below 40 degrees (f). The stock tires on the R3 did not like the cold temps and on very cold days, I felt the back tire break loose quite often on normal downshifts. For day to day riding in the summer months though, I never felt the need on street rides.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I'm down shifting fast and hard braking the rear starts to chatter and doesn't slide smooth going into the corner. I can modulate the clutch to smooth this out but it's really hard to do consistently especially as I get tired.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I assume this is for the track, right? If so, yeah it'd be nice to have IMO if you can spare the money for one. The R3 clutch is pretty grippy and it doesn't take much to break the rear loose during hard braking and downshifting. I've gotten used to that feeling now, and I don't mind it too much. Most times I just smooth it out with the clutch, but as you try to brake deeper into turns and shift quicker, it'll happen occasionally. I never had this problem on the cbr500 before, but the R3 definitely has a more race-oriented clutch surprisingly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm thinking I might be a candidate for a slipper clutch myself. I still need to work more on my downshifts for sure, but I can't combine braking and downshifting. My fingers don't have enough independent movement. Basically, if my first two fingers are extended to reach the brake lever, my ring and pinky fingers can't close enough to grip the throttle unless the brake lever is squeezed in as far as it can go, sometimes not even then. I can kinda grip with just my thumb/palm, but it's not consistent. My fingers aren't very long to begin with, so this is with adjustable levers as well.
Mostly I just try and get my downshifting done before I brake altogether, which seems fine, but I'm considering the slipper in future for those 'just in case' moments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's a link to my R3 at Laguna this past weekend. You can hear the slipper clutch working going into the corners, allowing me to maximize corner entry speed. On one corner, I downshifted too early and the SC saved ma' bacon. Just rev's higher.

Like Ruby has installed, this is a Yoyodyne but with stiffer springs to keep (to me) the stock engine braking alive. Without those springs, the engine braking was too weak for my tastes.

Let us know how you like yours. I haven't any experience with that one.

Sorry for the tilted angle!

https://youtu.be/s1_-qD2s164

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here's a link to my R3 at Laguna this past weekend. You can hear the slipper clutch working going into the corners, allowing me to maximize corner entry speed. On one corner, I downshifted too early and the SC saved ma' bacon. Just rev's higher.

Like Ruby has installed, this is a Yoyodyne but with stiffer springs to keep (to me) the stock engine braking alive. Without those springs, the engine braking was too weak for my tastes.

Let us know how you like yours. I haven't any experience with that one.

Sorry for the tilted angle!

https://youtu.be/s1_-qD2s164
If speed is what you're looking for into corners make sure you also get a quick shift whilst getting your slipper clutch fitted ... :|

·
Vendor
74 Posts
The Monster Energy Factory Team uses Suter on the R1 Superbikes, our MotoAmerica championship Supersport R6's use them and we are building spec race bikes for teams and riders using them in R3's since 2015. They are top notch and consistent. I'll get over to the engine room and take some pictures of the kits open boxed. I'll also drop in some images of the head gaskets, cam chain tensioners and cam sprockets we developed for the bikes through our engine programs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts