Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Now I know why you said it was a waste of money

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Of course, because if it doesn't come from the almighty Graves it's trash. :rolleyes:

Seriously, grow the f' up, and don't pull me into your pissing contests.

Just go enjoy your multitude of motorcycles!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Of course, because if it doesn't come from the almighty Graves it's trash. :rolleyes:
There ya go. :laugh:
Don't mess with Texas. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Well it's true it's what you said.

Anyway the Suter clutch is an incredible improvement over the stock non slipper clutch. You dont need to beleive what I say, just ask one of the kids ridding the Graves Spec Yamaha R3's. I've heard nothing less than "it's a game changer" from the riders who are using it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am trying to decide on which slipper clutch to purchase:
Suter, EVR or Yoyodyne.

Can y'all explain the differences between the three?

Thank you, in advance! :)

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I am trying to decide on which slipper clutch to purchase:
Suter, EVR or Yoyodyne.

Can y'all explain the differences between the three?

Thank you, in advance! :)
I'm sure this isn't the answer you're looking for. But this earlier post does a good job of explaining the "advantages" of a Suter Clutch. Keep in mind that "Gravesport" sells them, but the post is informative none the less. Hope it helps.

https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/514-engine/139929-suter-clutch-systems.html

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For those who don't want to spend the money for a slipper clutch, one other thing that helps somewhat is changing the "fuel cutoff on deceleration" setting to something more moderate. This can be done via an ECU tune. It does not make sense to do this via ECU tune if this is ALL you do the tune for, as an ECU tune itself is not really cheap, BUT if you are doing a tune anyway, just have that change made by the tuner (it's a field entry in the software).

Myself, I LIKE a fair bit of engine braking on closed throttle, but I can see where a racer would want the slipper clutch. My first tune from Graves moderated the closed throttle decel "just right" for my use. The more recent tune though took too much of it away for my personal taste, but this time Chuck Graves did not think of asking me how much I wanted, and I don't want to sne dthe ECU to Graves a second time just for this and a rev limit adjustment. Next time I do a tune, I'll remember to have both the decel and rev limit addressed as part of it.

Jim G

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure this isn't the answer you're looking for. But this earlier post does a good job of explaining the "advantages" of a Suter Clutch. Keep in mind that "Gravesport" sells them, but the post is informative none the less. Hope it helps.

https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/514-engine/139929-suter-clutch-systems.html
Right, I saw that in this thread, the plug for the Suter, and it sounds great to me (I'm a big fan of all things swiss! :)), but, I'd be super interested in a comparison of the 3 main slipper clutch choices (EVR, YoyoDyne, Suter) from someone who doesn't have a "dog in the fight." If the Suter really is the way to go, then, I'm all in!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right, I saw that in this thread, the plug for the Suter, and it sounds great to me (I'm a big fan of all things swiss! :)), but, I'd be super interested in a comparison of the 3 main slipper clutch choices (EVR, YoyoDyne, Suter) from someone who doesn't have a "dog in the fight." If the Suter really is the way to go, then, I'm all in!

I'm not sure if I've seen anyone actually compare the 3, or even any two of them. At least, not anyone who seems to have actually owned or tested them. Your best bet aside from spending gobs of cash and doing ti yourself, is to read writeups of each individually and make not of the pros and cons detailed for them, then compare against each other.

Might help to try and dig in to more race oriented forums, WERA for example. Even then, you might just have to look at the reputation and pros/cons for each manufacturer rather than R3 specific.

Wish I could be more helpful, but last time I really looked into it I was left with the impression that slipper clutches for the R3 weren't talked about much, but that was some time ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure if I've seen anyone actually compare the 3, or even any two of them. At least, not anyone who seems to have actually owned or tested them. Your best bet aside from spending gobs of cash and doing ti yourself, is to read writeups of each individually and make not of the pros and cons detailed for them, then compare against each other.

Might help to try and dig in to more race oriented forums, WERA for example. Even then, you might just have to look at the reputation and pros/cons for each manufacturer rather than R3 specific.

Wish I could be more helpful, but last time I really looked into it I was left with the impression that slipper clutches for the R3 weren't talked about much, but that was some time ago.
Interesting! I guess I'm surprised. I was thinking since this bike has been around for 3 years someone would have done the research for me already :Darn

Do you have a slipper clutch?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have a suggestion: Perhaps email or call each R3 race team that uses slipper clutches, explain that you are an individual owner (not a competitive team rep!) and simply ask them why they chose the brand that they did.

Note that sometimes the choice is made for NON-performance reasons, such as:

- Best price made available to the team when all the contending products are REASONABLY equal

- A sponsorship agreement specifically for that product

- A sponsorship agreement with a supplier that includes that product in a "basket" of sponsorship products

- Easy or hard, fast or slow, parts availability

But, I think you'd get at least SOME information, with questions like:

- What are the key features of this specific brand that you like?

- What special measures do you take to enhance performance or longevity?

- How long do the clutches go before needing repair or replacement?

- If you had a choice now to use a different product, what would that product be, and why?

Jim G

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a suggestion: Perhaps email or call each R3 race team that uses slipper clutches, explain that you are an individual owner (not a competitive team rep!) and simply ask them why they chose the brand that they did.

Note that sometimes the choice is made for NON-performance reasons, such as:

- Best price made available to the team when all the contending products are REASONABLY equal

- A sponsorship agreement specifically for that product

- A sponsorship agreement with a supplier that includes that product in a "basket" of sponsorship products

- Easy or hard, fast or slow, parts availability

But, I think you'd get at least SOME information, with questions like:

- What are the key features of this specific brand that you like?

- What special measures do you take to enhance performance or longevity?

- How long do the clutches go before needing repair or replacement?

- If you had a choice now to use a different product, what would that product be, and why?

Jim G
Hi Jim-
Thank you for chiming in. Those are great questions. I think you are the Suter guy, right?:) Regarding the Suter Slipper Clutch, what should one do to enhance performance and longevity?
Also, do you happen to know if a slipper clutch is "legal" in the AFM 300 supersport class?
Sara

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi Jim-
Thank you for chiming in. Those are great questions. I think you are the Suter guy, right?:) Regarding the Suter Slipper Clutch, what should one do to enhance performance and longevity?
Also, do you happen to know if a slipper clutch is "legal" in the AFM 300 supersport class?
Sara
Sara: I am not a racer, so don't know their race class legality.

I have never owned a slipper clutch.

I am also not "the Suter guy" (whatever/whoever that is :) ). Many on the forum do view me as
- The guy who is always trying to make his R3 lighter and more nimble (so maybe "Feather Man")
- The guy who writes loooooong posts (So maybe "Wordy Man")

I just listed the questions I would likely ask IF I was thinking about getting a slipper clutch.

Because I am NOT a racer, and so do not do high rpm downshifts in traction-sensitive situations, I actually prefer having a fair bit of closed throttle deceleration. I find it gives me faster reaction times when I need to stop quickly to avoid a cager or animal (you're slowing down before even getting onto the brakes), and allows me to augment rear wheel braking on slippery surfaces where touching the front brake could be disastrous. I also love the control that using engine decel provides. Plus, I love the sound of my aftermarket (Graves Works 2) exhaust on closed throttle deceleration. :)

So, a slipper clutch has not been on my radar. But I read threads like this one to find out if I am missing something that could be helpful.

Jim G

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

I am also not "the Suter guy" (whatever/whoever that is :) ). Many on the forum do view me as
- The guy who is always trying to make his R3 lighter and more nimble (so maybe "Feather Man")

I just listed the questions I would likely ask IF I was thinking about getting a slipper clutch.

Because I am NOT a racer, and so do not do high rpm downshifts in traction-sensitive situations, I actually prefer having a fair bit of closed throttle deceleration. I find it gives me faster reaction times when I need to stop quickly to avoid a cager or animal (you're slowing down before even getting onto the brakes), and allows me to augment rear wheel braking on slippery surfaces where touching the front brake could be disastrous. I also love the control that using engine decel provides. Plus, I love the sound of my aftermarket (Graves Works 2) exhaust on closed throttle deceleration. :)

So, a slipper clutch has not been on my radar. But I read threads like this one to find out if I am missing something that could be helpful.

Jim G
What if I told you, it can lighten your bike up by .0035 pounds and there is at least 5 pages of things you can write about?! Buy it, you know you want to.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Interesting! I guess I'm surprised. I was thinking since this bike has been around for 3 years someone would have done the research for me already :Darn

Do you have a slipper clutch?

I think in this case the $800+ cost and install work (or even more money to have someone else do it) means it's out of the range for most casual buyers, and it can't be seen so it's not a priority.

I don't have a slipper clutch myself. It's on my list, but for the cost I always find something else to buy instead. Personally I'd feel fine with either the Yoyodyne or the Suter. Those are the only two I've looked at. I tend to look at it like this: One of these is better than the other(s), but am I good enough to notice that difference?(I am not) In this case they both have a good rep and I see them mentioned and spoken well of from different racers.

I don't know for sure on AFM, but looking at their rulebook for 2018 300 SuperStock it looks like you can replace the unit with a slipper clutch. However I've never raced there, nor does it uses those specific words, so your best bet is to contact that organization and ask them straight up if you can. Race orgs do sometimes have stupid, petty, and/or outdated rules that only make sense to the person who wrote them.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Jim G
Hi Jim, My apologies, I thought you were a vendor. Forgive me, I am new here on the forum. :redface:
Wordy/Feather Man it is :bow

I like to read and learn, so I look forward to reading your posts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think in this case the $800+ cost and install work (or even more money to have someone else do it) means it's out of the range for most casual buyers, and it can't be seen so it's not a priority.

I don't have a slipper clutch myself. It's on my list, but for the cost I always find something else to buy instead. Personally I'd feel fine with either the Yoyodyne or the Suter. Those are the only two I've looked at. I tend to look at it like this: One of these is better than the other(s), but am I good enough to notice that difference?(I am not) In this case they both have a good rep and I see them mentioned and spoken well of from different racers.

I don't know for sure on AFM, but looking at their rulebook for 2018 300 SuperStock it looks like you can replace the unit with a slipper clutch. However I've never raced there, nor does it uses those specific words, so your best bet is to contact that organization and ask them straight up if you can. Race orgs do sometimes have stupid, petty, and/or outdated rules that only make sense to the person who wrote them.
Hi Matt,
I've emailed slipper clutch the question to folks at AFM. Am waiting to hear back.:doublethumb

21 - 40 of 43 Posts