1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have always wanted to try a slipper. Unfortunately I will be picking up an Arai Corsair X. I need something that flows a crap ton of air to keep my head cool. Plus my helmet is will be out of date this August. While it would definitely fix the bearing issue, I need a new helmet first.

May look into one later.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Too pricey for me.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Pricing not out of line for a Yoyo - thanks for tracking this down Jesse!
If the final costs for putting me and the R3 back together don't send me to the poorhouse, I'll be giving you a call in the next month or two.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe someone can explain how this clutch will work compared to a non-slipper clutch. Pro's and con's. Thanks.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will this product be compatible post clutch recall? I want to do the pending recall first, then install this slipper clutch.
I'd recommend doing the recall first just to get all the benefits, I'm not exactly sure what all they are replacing in the recall, if it's just the bearing or what. The install is a little in depth, like changing your clutch pack. there are some you tube videos of other bikes and it's basically the same for every bike.

The wikipedia is pretty thorough:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper_clutch

But basically it drastically reduces, or nearly eliminates, the engine braking while slowing down. So for racing, if you are wide open in 6th gear, and have to slam down 2 or 3 gears for a sharp corner, it allows the rear wheel to coast without skipping and sliding all over from the engine braking. It also makes it much easier to control corner speed on entry for fast corners because there is virtually no engine braking, so the bike will smoothly coast without dropping tons of speed on corner entry.

·
Registered
198 Posts
But basically it drastically reduces, or nearly eliminates, the engine braking while slowing down. So for racing, if you are wide open in 6th gear, and have to slam down 2 or 3 gears for a sharp corner, it allows the rear wheel to coast without skipping and sliding all over from the engine braking. It also makes it much easier to control corner speed on entry for fast corners because there is virtually no engine braking, so the bike will smoothly coast without dropping tons of speed on corner entry.
Right now I'm saving for Andrioni (sp?) fork carts but I suuuuuck at the downshift blipping and always **** it up. Would you say the carts are more important than the slipper or vice versa?

Also where do we get coupon codes? About to place an order with y'all!

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right now I'm saving for Andrioni (sp?) fork carts but I suuuuuck at the downshift blipping and always **** it up. Would you say the carts are more important than the slipper or vice versa?

Also where do we get coupon codes? About to place an order with y'all!
definitely do suspension first. I try to keep my prices low for everyone, so I don't have any coupon codes at the moment.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Will this product be compatible post clutch recall? I want to do the pending recall first, then install this slipper clutch.
This will replace the stock pressure plate. So it will remove the bad bearing issues.

Maybe someone can explain how this clutch will work compared to a non-slipper clutch. Pro's and con's. Thanks.
A slipper clutch works by using springs and "ramps" to allow the clutch to slowly engage when down shifting. This means your rear wheel will keep working normally even if you shift from 6th gear, at high RPM, to 3rd gear. You will no longer need to blip and engage the clutch for each down shift. You can just down shift to 3rd.

This is not a plug and play application though. Slipper clutches do have maintenance associated with them. Where as the stock clutch is put it in an forget it for several thousand miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
This is not a plug and play application though. Slipper clutches do have maintenance associated with them. Where as the stock clutch is put it in an forget it for several thousand miles.
Huh, I've never seen slipper clutch maintenance discussed at the N300 forum. Are we talking adjustment or what?

·
Registered
116 Posts
awesome product Jesse, but a lil pricey for me .. may have to wait.. if I have $850 I think I would do a full exhaust install first.. man! I wish I have like $3K I can throw on my r3.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts