Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Went for a ride today and noticed a bit of slippage while in high gear. Happened maybe 2-3 times. Anybody else have this issue with their R3 or any other bike. I've been told I might need a new clutch by a non-mechanic rider friend.

I have not been nice to my R3 lately. Lots of slow speed maneuver practice, wheelies, and a few burnouts. Not really "normal" use. I know it's a tough bike so I didn't expect to toast the clutch already.

It had the recall service done, the 600 miles service, about 2000 miles on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would make sure the clutch cable is adjusted correctly first, if that is fine and the problem is still there then you might need to open the clutch basket

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I'll see if adjusting it will fix it. It does feel like there is a little too much play anyway.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Alright I'll see if adjusting it will fix it. It does feel like there is a little too much play anyway.
That wouldn't cause the clutch to slip. If you didn't have enough freeplay, that might cause it.

My guess is, you abused the clutch, and now it's starting to slip. You might need a new clutch kit.
The R3 is NOT a "heavy duty" machine. It's light, and somewhat fragile. I don't think it can take abuse very well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That wouldn't cause the clutch to slip. If you didn't have enough freeplay, that might cause it.

My guess is, you abused the clutch, and now it's starting to slip. You might need a new clutch kit.
The R3 is NOT a "heavy duty" machine. It's light, and somewhat fragile. I don't think it can take abuse very well.
I does feel that way. My cbr250 felt rock solid. The R3 does feel fragile in comparison.
It's basically brand new though

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might actually have been a false neutral from 5th to 6th. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A false neutral is very different. Perhaps you need to explain what you meant by noticing "a bit of slippage"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A false neutral is very different. Perhaps you need to explain what you meant by noticing "a bit of slippage"
Hmm I'm not really sure how to describe it. Was accelerating in 5th and did a quick shift to 6th.Was fine for for a second or two then it felt like it slammed into 6th again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I got the recall done last month (August) and just today 09/19/16, I was in the highway/freeway whatever. I was in 6th gear and something felt off with the bike. Then it felt like it went into neutral and I dropped speed fast, throttle was not working at all. I managed to pull over to the side of the road, changed gears to neutral and the bike turned on, throttle worked and I went on again except this time I decided not to try over 5th. It felt fine, kinda sketch since I just got the work done. I'm still under warranty so I'm gonna take it and drop it off in the dealer. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts