Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 1350 miles on my R3. Got it new last Oct. and did the breakin according to the manual. It has gotten two oil changes already, one about 300 miles to get the breakin particles out and the other about 1000 miles. Bike runs great.
One thing that I always notice after riding whether 10 minutes or one hour is a faint odor. I first thought it was the factory paint on the muffler burning off. Then I thought maybe the brakes are rubbing and I'm smelling that. Even rode a couple times without using the brakes, just downshifted up a hill till it stopped and still smelled something. Rotors were cool. Put the bike on a stand and the wheels spin fine, nothing dragging. Nothing is smoking and the smell doesn't stay around long but I notice it after every ride. The bike always runs in the normal temp range, two or three bars depending on the air temperature. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
542 Posts
oil on the headers maybe? Something could've dripped down while you were filling it up. Not really sure what else it could be that outside the norm.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Help us help you. What does it smell like? Oil, plastic, gas, brakes? Each is distinctive, so hard to tell what it might be.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Help us help you. What does it smell like? Oil, plastic, gas, brakes? Each is distinctive, so hard to tell what it might be.
Well, at first I thought it was the new paint burning off the muffler. Surely after 1300 miles that would be over with. Then I thought maybe the brakes. So the smell is kind of in those two things (category) Doesn't seem like plastic or oil burning. The smell doesn't last long at all, sort of a whiff of vapor then it's gone. Very strange. What about the clutch? Could it be coming from there? The bike shifts fine and I do not ride the clutch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine has an odor too...
I noticed the smell the day I brought it home...
Bought it with 6 miles on it and I was the one who TEST rode it...

I think it has something to do with the carbon canister venting...

1240 miles, 2 oil changes, its never been in the rain, kept in my living room, cleaned all the time and maintained...

although one of my daughters pet hamsters is missing !!! (Just kidding about the hamster...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
1100 miles on my R3 and still smells like burnt plastic. LOL. The smell should go away soon. Then it will just smell like fuel and oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a super tenere before this bike that had a smell too. There are hundreds of pages of debate on the advrider forums about it and I think most people believe that the smell was blow back from adding too much oil in the bike and the oil gets in the air box. I took the 12 screws out and looked in mine on my s20 and there was oil there. I don't know if it's a Yamaha thing or not. I used to add a little extra oil thinking a little more won't hurt but not enough will, now I make sure it's as perfect as I can get it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In Texas we have a lot of chupacabras. If you hit one and didn't realize it they release a similar odor. I don't think they're as prevalent in your area but I wouldn't rule it out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just my opinion, but one tank of gas I bought seemed to make a weird smell at start up and idle. Changed fuel station and no more issue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I barely have 10 miles on my bike and I have that smell as well, it smells like burnt paint or something.
That's what I thought it was too when my bike was new. But after 1350 miles I would think it would stop smelling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What exhaust are you running on it? Sometimes I can smell it on mine, but I thought that it could have a dirty carbon canister? Not sure tho?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts