Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike has 4000kms and I just finished an oil change. Also added a new chain and sprockets. Bike rides fine and sounds good, but after it warms up on a 5/3 min quick ride up and down the road. I see a medium amount of smoke coming from the lower backside of the engine for about 5 mins (temps in my area are around 15 degrees). smoke looks like its almost coming from the top of the cat or just in front of that. No leaks that I can find? even after sitting in the shed for 2/3 days, the floor is 100% clean under the bike. My thought was it could be some chain cleaner or brake cleaner pooled up in front of the swing arm burning off after sitting, but since it happened a second time I'm unsure. Would it be worth getting an OBD2 on the case or is that unlikely to detect anything? Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
No problems before the oil change... nothing should be wrong afterwards. If the correct amount of oil was installed, and you've verified the full level by a visual at the sight glass when the bike is straight and level. I wouldn't worry about anything going on inside the engine, My guess is oil or solvent residue in the exhaust that will go away shortly. If you're still concerned, have your Yamaha Dealer's service department look it over.. The bike's still under warranty. Yamaha's problem to document, and or, repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems before the oil change... nothing should be wrong afterwards. If the correct amount of oil was installed, and you've verified the full level by a visual at the sight glass when the bike is straight and level. I wouldn't worry about anything going on inside the engine, My guess is oil or solvent residue in the exhaust that will go away shortly. If you're still concerned, have your Yamaha Dealer's service department look it over.. The bike's still under warranty. Yamaha's problem to document, and or, repair.
yeah, kind of my thoughts just wanted some confirmation. I'm a bit worried about that warranty since i have done work on the bike myself is it not voided?

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
A normal service of oil and filter, and chain/sprockets change should be no problems. I'm not certain of warranty rules for Australia, but normally the owner can do the work with no problems, as long as like parts are used, the exhaust/ catalytic converter is still in tact as OEM, the ECU has not been tuned and is still OEM... you get the idea. My point is, you've not tinkered with the engine, no reason to believe the warranty would be a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah it happens a lot on dirt bikes bro. It’s oil that accidentally dripped into somewhere you didn’t see and it’s burning, that or chain lube, if it goes on after a full gas tank, then you should check your oil filter install or drain plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it happens a lot on dirt bikes bro. It’s oil that accidentally dripped into somewhere you didn’t see and it’s burning, that or chain lube, if it goes on after a full gas tank, then you should check your oil filter install or drain plug
yeah it's not smoking anymore so I'm assuming it was excess chain lube

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah it's not smoking anymore so I'm assuming it was excess chain lube
Awesome, it’s a horrible feeling to think your bike has an issue, glad it stopped.

I learned about smells when I bought my first Porsche.

I bought my Boxster and babied it.

The first time I took it to the twisties on a whole day worth of fun, every full up I was smelling burnt and smoke smell.

I was scared that something was wrong and babied it home. In the garage I was scared because the smell was strong.

after going to the dealer I learned that all performance Porsches smell like that because the metals used in motor sports are so strong that they give off this weird smell when they expand because of heat.

now I have learned to love that smell and if it doesn’t smell, I didn’t run it hard enough.

never would I have dreamed that a 100k car would be a smelly stinky vehicle.

these are things reviews don’t say because they don’t have long enough time with the cars but you learn from experience.

a little of smell is ok sometimes, remember these are machines. Just like you when you fart, nothing wrong with you :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts