Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I bought yamalube... 600m oil change and apparently no one carries regular oil for motorcycles anymore... so I went to my nice Yamaha dealer the one I like because I went to school with them... well they were dumb wanted to sell me amsoil semisynthic even after I told them I was in break in.. thankfully Yamaha mechanic of 40 years enters and tells them I'm right... I need regular oil... I may not have rode before but I've rebuilt an xs650 and my car. Anyways they gave my 20w50.. now I know the bike can run it but doesn't that seem a bit thick?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you are at 600 miles, your break-in is pretty much done.
The Amsoil semi-synthetic would have been fine. 10w-40 is what the R3 likes. ( According to Yamaha )
20w-50 would be okay, if you live in a hot climate. It won't hurt anything to run it.
No idea why they would give you the 20w-50... unless they are overstocked on it, and want to get rid of it.
You can't always trust dealerships. They exist to make money for the family that owns them.
When I did my 600 mile service, I used MAXIMA Syn/Blend 10w-40. I still have some left over, so it will
get the same stuff next oil change too!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been taught to run regular until your out of break in. I'm just going to take it back an get what I want. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts