Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had the bike for about 3 months now and I'm a totally blank when it comes to what needs to be maintained / buying the million different $20 fluid bottles for each aspect, so I thought I'd get it properly serviced since its a 2018 model and has a dealer service stamp in the book.

I was booking my R3 for a 5000km service ($160NZD) and the dealer said the last owner only took it in once and its due for an 'annual service' ($280NZD) - which 'does the brake fluids and looks at the software'.

What is your experience in getting the bike serviced? This is the first I'm hearing brake fluid and software costing an extra $120 - is this genuine or am I being scammed? This is the only official yamaha dealer in my city.

And to my second question, I was extremely stupid the other day and have scratched up the fuel tank (photo attached) of my otherwise flawless movistar R3, what are my options here? Can some sort of scratch pen work? Or do I have to weigh out auto paint store/ new tank fairings?

Thanks !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
How comfortable are you working on the bike? Brake fluid change is simple enough and very cheap if done yourself. Can't comment on software. Would probably want to know what changes are in the software first.

It's new, but bikes will keep getting scratched. Better to leave it and not feel as bad the next time it gets scratched (it will).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
+1 on what MetalSlug said. I've never heard any discussion concerning "software updates", Can you do the service and fluid changes?.. Sure.. Lots of us do our own for the enjoyment and cost savings. If that's not your idea of an nice afternoon.. Pay the dealer to do it.. More costly.. But for most riders it's a once a year expense.. One thing I would recommend.. And since it appears you're outside the US, I can't send you the proper link. Go to Yamaha's official website for your part of the world, and look towards the bottom of the home page.. Look under "Corporate Links".. then "Product Recalls". You should be able to type in your bikes VIN to check for any Yamaha Safety Recalls. Safety Recalls are free to the bike's owner (original or current), and can be completed by any authorized Yamaha Dealer. Good Luck, Sorry about the scratch. :nerd:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I take it you're in NZ due to talking NZ dollars, in which case I can safely say Yamaha dealers in NZ are hideously expensive. Learn how to do an oil and filter change at the very least and save yourself $100's of dollars. These "annual services" usually only consist of a quick 'glance' over your bike, chain tension and then an oil/filter change. Not worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts