Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls

I've had my full akroprovic exhaust on mine for a few weeks now.. best thing I noticed was the maneuverability from weight loss.. woohoo.. down sides though anyone else notice a huge fuel economy drop. mine was 22.4 now 21.2. the big one is the farty (very raspy) sound I knew would happen with a slip on but not with full.. I took the DB killer out and rode it for 20k's and less farty sound and less loud backfires..mind you it's so loud with it out it made my ears hurt and I know little back pressure.. i'm wondering if I drilled holes in the insert would it help .. maybe the DB killer makes the exhaust kinda hit a T intersection brick wall then to cause the farty raspy affect..

alternatively anyone got a solution for the farty raspy sound (and yes the farty sound is from my engine, nowhere else)..

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
How much weight does it save? Can a full system also be adjusted to be quiet? (I prefer a quiet bike, but would appreciate any weight savings.)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Your mileage (before and after) seems to be at the low end of the range we're seeing - I ride mine HARD, and am getting in the mid- to upper 30's. @sendler is getting close to 80 mpg. There may be other some fuel management issues

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Xorbe

huge noticeable difference riding at say 1KPH when manoeuvring ect...
actual weight i'm think half the weight.. some have weighed to 0.1 kilo..

my akro has the DB killer with an allen key screw to remove..

no easy fix standard is heavy and if it can be halved in weight I may put mine back on

How much weight does it save? Can a full system also be adjusted to be quiet? (I prefer a quiet bike, but would appreciate any weight savings.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi again Stirz

thanks again for your advice, you are quite the R3 guru it seems hey...(wobble your head side to side nnnnnoooow)
anyways that's great advice thankyou I think I need to take it back to the dealer (pity the workshop manager is retarted)

Your mileage (before and after) seems to be at the low end of the range we're seeing - I ride mine HARD, and am getting in the mid- to upper 30's. @sendler is getting close to 80 mpg. There may be other some fuel management issues

·
Registered
856 Posts
play with the length of the db killer.

Sometimes just a few mm makes a huge difference.
A hacksaw is your friend,
Make sure you Antiseize the DB killers contact surfaces, and retaing bolt threads. they corrode in time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Ildottore

Are you saying the farty sound will go after block off plate or the popping backfire will... I actually like the poppy back fire (my bike may hate it) but it reminds me of cracker night on 4th july

From everything I've read and seen, both will go away. The plate will stop extra air from going to the engine. The sound is most likely from excess un burned fuel.

The website that i posted earlier also has a video of the plates being installed. He explains it well too.

They have a r3 as a project bike. They show you how to upgrade the exhaust( multiple brands), brake lines, rotors, service, and block off plates. The videos are cool if you are inclined to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nobody mentioned a fuel-controller?
You can't run a full exhaust on the R3 without installing a fuel-controller. You need to do the block-off plates, and install a fuel-controller with the correct map.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya Auffit....thankyou for your advice.. that trick certainly wont hurt...
hacksaw my friend ? ? ? gee sounds kinda horror movie style but I prefer angle grinder....thanks

play with the length of the db killer.

Sometimes just a few mm makes a huge difference.
A hacksaw is your friend,
Make sure you Antiseize the DB killers contact surfaces, and retaing bolt threads. they corrode in time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again Iidottore

thanks again for your msg...
yep your right about extra fuel and it makes sense with Stirz comments of my bad fuel economy. Remember the rally cars of the 1990's with their poppy exhausts...

I saw the plate video before... but as per prev quote I like my pops...

From everything I've read and seen, both will go away. The plate will stop extra air from going to the engine. The sound is most likely from excess un burned fuel.

The website that i posted earlier also has a video of the plates being installed. He explains it well too.

They have a r3 as a project bike. They show you how to upgrade the exhaust( multiple brands), brake lines, rotors, service, and block off plates. The videos are cool if you are inclined to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nobody mentioned a fuel-controller?
You can't run a full exhaust on the R3 without installing a fuel-controller. You need to do the block-off plates, and install a fuel-controller with the correct map.
Hi there CBRpilot
many would agree but it seems many don't agree with that theory but who knows I may need to do it

·
Registered
140 Posts
My R3 has the full Akra system, and I dont have the blockoff plate or a fuel controller installed and mine seems to run fine. Small backfire pops here and there, and rarely a really loud one when the engine/exhaust is a little on the cold side. Fuel economy is fine, i get about 3.8L/100km and I dont baby it around. It would probably help a lot to get a fuel controller and blockoff plate on, but isnt absolutely 100% necessary. Not sure about other full-system exhausts though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I tend to agree. I tried my current full system before installing the EJK and it was awful! Big holes in the power and not nearly enough fuel for 8,000 rpm onwards. Personally, if you are on a tight budget, invest in the controller first, as it improves the bike even with its standard exhaust in place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've taken the DB killer out and it hurt my ears so much I put it back in..then the farty overly raspy sound gets so horribly annoying I've taken it back out..DB killer in, irritating farty sound and dangerous for engine backfires (I mean cracker night loud) annnnnd 21.2 km's per litre...

took it out (now it's staying out) and no farty sound (still a little raspy but bearable) no more backfire annnnnd It went up to 22.7.. so screw the neighbours and other drivers I WILL be heard.. no more I didn't hear you coming sorry for knocking you over

hey ironically I took a pic of my valves when I took my exhaust off..exhaust was whitish so kinda bizzare should be black hey...

i'm really apprehensive to a PC..my current and last (heaviliy modded) cars have stand alone ECU's and never ran as well as standard map..

my partner has A DB meter on the phone so I will test the DB and see what the noise is.

Hey what reading are people getting on their dash for fuel where it says "KM'S PER LITRE"

Hey "harisonH cuz ur in aus what fuel did the dealer say to use.. the idiot workshop manager told me never 98, but he also said doesn't need running in too :( :(

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Angela, I use 98 but you will be fine with 95, or even 93 octane regular unleaded. I use 98 because over a really long period of time the carbon deposits left in the engine and exhaust will be less than If I used 95 or 93, although not by a huge amount.

You dont really need to strictly break it in, but during your first 1000km's you want to wear in all the engine components by going through most of the rev range (but try to avoid extended use at high revs) and to get plenty of use in all the gears. Just basically dont redline it, or baby it around constantly in low revs.

My average is 3.8 L/100Km (about 26.3 Km/L) I last checked, and I ride mine fairly aggressively.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Harison
Thanks for you reply again
the a/hole workshop guy (had bad experiences with him) told me 98 would damage the engine. also he didn't so don't over rev it.. he did say not to labour it (low revs) but from new I have red lined it...

last time I took it back with an issue the fobbed me off...
Do you get a nashy half oil in the gearbox whine at around 4,000 - 5,000 rpm..... I do
thanks
Angela

1 - 20 of 20 Posts