Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a fair amount of experience riding dirt bikes, a lot of the time on the streets, I live in a very small town, low population, and lots of people use ATVs/dirt bikes on the main road for transportation. We have very little law enforcement, I know most of the officers outside of their jobs. I would like to use the R3 to actually go from my small town to the actual "city" (City Limits, I'm outside of City Limits). I still need to make an appointment and obtain my permit and motorcycle licenses, while I'm not worried about the difficulties of these tests, I just have to make appointments for everything around here, then it takes months. I would still like to obtain a 2017 R3 March-April of 2017 as soon as the dealers get them, I would like to ride it and get it broke in prior to obtaining my documents. So that boils down to my question(s).

Can I insure a motorcycle without having a motorcycle permit or license?

Can I register and get tag plates on the motorcycle without having a motorcycle permit or license?

Also, can I finance without having a motorcycle permit or license? I would be willing to do 30% down on the dealers price and fees.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Welcome! Answers to your questions.

1. Yes you could insure it - but you likely wouldn't get past the application stage because you don't have a license. So they won't insure it if you don't have your license.

2. Yes, you can register and tag plates but again, you won't be able to without a license because that's (I'm assuming) part of the process. It is here in Canada at least.

3. Definitely can't finance it without a license. You also have to be of a certain age. If there was a bank or financial institution willing to finance it without a license I'd be willing to bet you couldn't insure it without a license so you're back to square one.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't - insurance and financing are pretty universal. But maybe someone else can chime in that works in those industries in the US.

Besides - it just seems to make sense if you would have your license before you do anything else. Think about it - you couldn't do any of the things you're proposing on a car, right? So there's no reason to believe it would be any different on a bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could on a car, I'd just have to say that it had a different primary driver than myself. Do you know if I could insure/register with only a permit? If not, how do you ride on a permit?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here in Arizona I insured my FZR400 without motorcycle license and later a GSXR600 also without a license (liability only). I also know you can buy any vehicle without a license and register said vehicle without a license (but DMV will want to see proof of insurance)if you pay cash, the dealer won't give a ****. As you could b buying the vehicle for racing purposes.

If you are financing the bike, the bank will want to have full coverage insurance to indemnify them in case of accident/theft. The insurer will most likely want a license or learner's permit, but maybe not.

I'm sure you know this, but you can take the MSF rider's course and earn your motorcycle endorsement upon finishing the course, using their bike and I assure you, everybody passes the "test" at end of course as long as you pay attention and are of sound mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long is the MSF rider's course? Thank you for the information cwick2000. Also, when you insured and registered without a license, did you at least have your permit or no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in NH and bought & insured my R3 before I had my permit or license. Because I financed, the bank needed proof of insurance before i was able to ride off the lot but i just got insurance while i was still at the dealer and was able to leave with my brand new R3 no problem. i rode to the DMV a few days later to get my permit and then registered so I can't give any advice on registering without a permit or license but getting the bike and insuring it definitely shouldn't be a problem.

I live in a fairly small town as well so I learned how to ride on my quiet street before getting my permit. i then rode to get it registered and had no problems. as for the MSF course, it consists of five hours of formal classroom activities and ten hours of riding instruction conducted over two or three sessions. if you elect not to take the course, you can take the written exam at the DMV and get your permit which is good for 45 days before you have to take your test. this is what i did and while i certainly recommend the MSF course, if you already know how to ride and want to break in your bike before getting your license then this might be a good option for you. I was in and out of the DMV with my permit in under an hour, no appointment needed. that being said, the MSF course can be taken at any time and is great whether you bought the bike last week or last month. keep in mind if you are under 18, the MSF course is required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great information Yammie, what insurance company did you insure with? Not sure if they will insure in my state (some do, some don't). Also, how did you get a plate without registering, so you could drive off the lot, dealer plate? To your second paragraph, that's exactly what I was wanting to do, just get it, and practice riding up and down my hollow, very quiet, I know everyone who lives in the hollow, which is 6-8 miles long, so I could do plenty of riding on a not so busy road, and have no worries of law enforcement. I've had plenty of experience on dirt bikes riding on the same road, as well as some more busy roads a little outside of the hollow. I will have to schedule an appointment in my city for the permit test, however if I scheduled it now, it'd probably be after March, and I was wanting to get the bike in March. Main last question is simply how did you drive off the lot without registering? Dealer plate? I think permits last one year in KY before needing renewed, so once I got the permit I'd probably ride on it for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am insured with Progressive, as such a big name insurance company I would think they could cover you but who knows. as far as leaving the dealer, they will give you a temporary dealer plate which in NH is good for 30 days, i think it is the same nation wide. having that temp plate will get you home from the dealer and after that if you don't have to worry about law enforcement bugging you for registration and what not then you should be all set. once the temp plate expires you'll technically be riding illegally (especially if you dont have a permit yet) but that doesnt seem to be an issue in your area. If i were you, with your situation, I would get insurance before hand or at the dealer, finance with proof of insurance and then the dealer will give you a plate to get home. ride around for a few weeks/months before you can take the permit test. once you have your permit, go register! as far as i know, they won't bother you for registering so far after your temp plate expired but you might want to clarify with someone. as long as you're not riding on any busy public roads I wouldnt even worry about having a permit or registering until you can get that appointment. all you need to leave the dealer is proof of insurance. and the money of course!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct about the 30 day temp plate, in my small town we actually have an officer who owns a used car dealership, and he will write out temp plates all day long for $50 a pop, and I'm great friends with him. I know I'll have no problem riding and getting away with or without a permit, I just wanted to know if I could insure and get the bike home without a permit until I manage to obtain one. I'd really like to score the 2017 ABS model when it gets to the dealers sometime in March. Thanks a heap for the information Yammie, and everyone else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts