Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would still prefer a Yamaha R7 over a Street Triple 375R anyday. :D
To each their own, but whats the "in between" role from an R6 and R1 would it fill? Both are bred track bikes. Which class would you fit the R7 in? I am guessing the 650 sport/ sport-touring bike class (IE N650/CBR650/VFR/etc) ? I dont think it would be fitting to make another SS just to fill a gap between 600-1000, since both their SS are already great machines. Would it be like a faired FZ07? Cause then you can just go to FZ6R.. They have a very good line up already, so not sure where an "R7" would fit in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd be happy to see anything made to finally compete with the GSXR-750. Stuff a 750cc I4 into an R6 frame and I'd say you have a winner.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'd be happy to see anything made to finally compete with the GSXR-750. Stuff a 750cc I4 into an R6 frame and I'd say you have a winner.
Not sure if that alone is going to cut it. The GSXR750 is a very well made bike. Putting a 750 engine in an R6 frame and calling it an R750 doesnt really make it a winner, just gives the GSXR a brand competetor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah I don't mean to say that an R750 would actually be better than a GSXR 750 at the end of the day. But yes, Suzuki simply does need a brand competitor.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yeah I don't mean to say that an R750 would actually be better than a GSXR 750 at the end of the day. But yes, Suzuki simply does need a brand competitor.
I thought you meant that "winner" piece literally lol. The 750, as mentioned, is a very well built bike imo.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
To each their own, but whats the "in between" role from an R6 and R1 would it fill? Both are bred track bikes. Which class would you fit the R7 in? I am guessing the 650 sport/ sport-touring bike class (IE N650/CBR650/VFR/etc) ? I dont think it would be fitting to make another SS just to fill a gap between 600-1000, since both their SS are already great machines. Would it be like a faired FZ07? Cause then you can just go to FZ6R.. They have a very good line up already, so not sure where an "R7" would fit in.
My version of the R7 doesn't fit into any existing category.
Of course it would not be just another SS bike. It's not an inline-4!
It wouldn't be a faired FZ-07, because you would still have the BAD suspension!
It would be a HYBRID. Something that doesn't exist right now. A torquey parallel-twin, that looks like a sportbike, has great suspension and brakes, and also a comfortable riding position. The FZ6R is definitely NOT that bike! The FZ6R is a cheap compromise between "sportbike" and "beginner bike".

My R7 is an R3 chassis, R6 suspension and brakes, FZ-07 engine with slipper-clutch and higher reving internals. Lightweight, powerful, capable, and comfortable. YAMAHA has the parts on the shelf to do this! They just need to modify the R3 frame to fit the larger FZ-07 engine. For the instrument panel, they could use a modified version of the new R1 display.

I'm not a fan of the 600-class inline-4 engines. I think the FZ-07 engine would be great in a lightweight sportbike. Give it a slipper-clutch, and bump the rev's up a bit, and you have a winner. That engine sounds mean with a full exhaust!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My version of the R7 doesn't fit into any existing category.
Of course it would not be just another SS bike. It's not an inline-4!
It wouldn't be a faired FZ-07, because you would still have the BAD suspension!
It would be a HYBRID. Something that doesn't exist right now. A torquey parallel-twin, that looks like a sportbike, has great suspension and brakes, and also a comfortable riding position. The FZ6R is definitely NOT that bike! The FZ6R is a cheap compromise between "sportbike" and "beginner bike".

My R7 is an R3 chassis, R6 suspension and brakes, FZ-07 engine with slipper-clutch and higher reving internals. Lightweight, powerful, capable, and comfortable. YAMAHA has the parts on the shelf to do this! They just need to modify the R3 frame to fit the larger FZ-07 engine. For the instrument panel, they could use a modified version of the new R1 display.

I'm not a fan of the 600-class inline-4 engines. I think the FZ-07 engine would be great in a lightweight sportbike. Give it a slipper-clutch, and bump the rev's up a bit, and you have a winner. That engine sounds mean with a full exhaust!
You realize that Yamaha DID already make an R7 right?

It was called the OW-02 YZF-R7. Nori Haga raced one in WSBK, as did Colin Edwards.

They made it from 99-02

I think the middle weight class is just slowly fading away. People these days are buying 500-600s and then they buy a 1000+cc bike.

Bikes in the 650-800cc class are still around, but they are budget. The GSX-R750 is the best package out there, purely because its been in suzukis line up for over 30 years....

As far as an upgraded R3...leave the motor alone, and put USD forks, and an adjustable rear unit, upgrade the caliper to a P108 Brembo, with matching 12mm Master and that gives you more brakes....

That's all it would take.

The R3 and the RC390 are both sub 400cc bikes that can hang with SV650s, and CBR500s, ER6ns, on the road and on the track when ridden properly.

I would like to see someone pull the R3 motor out and put an RZ350 motor into it...THAT would be fun!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1.) You realize that Yamaha DID already make an R7 right?

2.) The GSX-R750 is the best package out there, purely because its been in suzukis line up for over 30 years....

3.) I would like to see someone pull the R3 motor out and put an RZ350 motor into it...THAT would be fun!
1. I did not know that. But i'll bet it was an inline-4, yes?

2. The Gixxer 750 is a great package, but a new one is about the same cost as a literbike. So just get a literbike. :nerd:

3. I thought about putting a 2-stroke CR500R engine in a CBR500R chassis. I was going to call it: CBR500RR. But it would have been too expensive, and who wants to kick-start a 500cc 2-stroke? :|

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It was an ok review, but comparing it to YOUR modded 300 doesn't do anyone any good. Nobody knows what you did to your bike, has ever ridden it. can't go ride it for a test ride. You should compare stock bikes to stock bikes. Otherwise it's just entertaining, but not educational.

I still don't see what people's problems are with the tires. I've pushed my bike hard. even did a 25mph turn yesterday on a 2 lane highway at 54mph and it was like it was on rails, with the stock tires.
My bike mods are all over my site and I've generally talked about them. But, here's my mod list on my site if you want to check it out;

http://spacep0d.com/the-bike-2/

It's kind of a long list so I don't bore my repeat viewers every time. The biggest mods are for power; full Yosh exhaust (same as the R3 I tested) but I have a custom ECU tune from Flash-Tune (the first Ninja 300 to get that from them), along with a quickshifter (which makes the biggest difference in a heads-up race I think). Michael's R3 did not have any tune, so he hadn't really unlocked its power yet (at that point).

Michael also got to ride my 300 as I rode his R3, so both of us got a sense of each other's bikes as they are modded.

But, either way one of them will win and yeah, I like how I've modded my 300 for me...but that goes without saying. I could very well have liked the modded R3 better than my own bike, just as I like the ZX-10R more than the new R1.

For tires, I've complained about stock tires for both the R3 and 300....but they do ship with budget tires and the big reviewers have complained about the R3 stock tires too....more so even than the 300's stock tires (formerly IRC, now Dunlop).

If I had access to more bikes I could do a more controlled test with two (or more) stock bikes and two similarly-modded bikes...but I am just one motovlogger and it's near impossible to get dealer test-rides in CA. I rely solely on my viewers to offer to let me try their bikes, and am thankful for it. ;)

In any case, the R3 was a load of fun and you really can't go wrong. Nice dealer network too. And yeah, I had to pass the slowpokes...that one car was insanely slow! She was braking on the straight! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
To really chew up the freeway at typical freeway speeds, it's going to need to be about 440cc and 50 whp, imo. But I'd probably still buy a top-shelf 375 triple if they made one!
There are 500's/650s/street triple for that if you are interested in freeway comfort. Besides, the R3/N300/ and even 250s can manage just fine.
I retract my 440cc estimation. After riding the 321cc for a week, it's already pushing the boundaries for "around town fun without instant trouble", imho. A proper 375 triple would be perfectly fine for occasional freeway duty, because the R3 is already there. I didn't mean extended dedicated freeway riding, just that it can handle its own if one has to hit the freeway from time to time. (Personally I don't feel that my 250 has the proper grunt for comfortably hanging with 65-75 mph traffic.)

and it's near impossible to get dealer test-rides in CA
Ain't that the truth. So how is that going with Triumph, Spacep0d? Did you make the sales pitch effectively?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts