Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow r3 riders!
A few days ago my R3 wouldn't start up and acts really weird. Sometimes the ignition doesn't turn on even though the battery has no problems. I also managed to start it up one time and it had a problem that I have never seen before. I recorded it and maybe one of you knows what's the problem. I'm not sure what the problem could be but I guess it's the ECU?
Start up
Greetings from Austria!

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Hello fellow r3 riders!
A few days ago my R3 wouldn't start up and acts really weird. Sometimes the ignition doesn't turn on even though the battery has no problems. I also managed to start it up one time and it had a problem that I have never seen before. I recorded it and maybe one of you knows what's the problem. I'm not sure what the problem could be but I guess it's the ECU?
Start up
Greetings from Austria!
Are you sure the battery has no issues? Did you make sure to put a wrench on the terminal bolts, did you use a multimeter to check the voltage?

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
11.98v is a dead battery. A good, fully charged battery should read a minimum of 12.6v, and can read as high as 12.9v, if a battery reads under ~12.4v, it needs charged, and under 12.2v it's basically depleted. At 12v - 12.1v, your battery is dead, but can probably be recharged or restored.

11.98v is a dead battery, replace it.

I would also check once you replace your battery to make sure the charging system is providing sufficient voltage as well. Once the new battery is installed, and the bike is warmed up, while running check the battery voltage again. Running, at 3K-5krpms, it should read 13.2v - 14v, can't recall the R3 specific range off hand, would have to check the service manual.

· Super Moderator
525 Posts
I feel for you..... I have no idea what would cause that. Electrical isn't my strongest asset, but I can usually diagnose the basic/common failures. I've never seen what your videos show? Is it possible that "new" battery has the terminals reversed? Some manufactures make two models of the same battery, the only difference is the terminals are opposite. I had it happen recently, but caught it before I installed it. Good luck-

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
I tried it with a charged battery and the ignition turned on but as soon as I pressed the start button it just died. Also, there is a clicking sound coming from the ecu. You can hear in the video.

What was the battery voltage of the charged battery? That is indeed an odd sound, never seen that happen. Your ECU technically can't make a "clicking" sound, or technically any sound as there are no moving parts. I would bet it's the flasher relay that someone has clipped to the ECU there. That's an aftermarket flasher relay too, and doesn't go there. If there's aftermarket electrical parts, usually what causes stuff like this, as people tend to **** up electrical components and systems installing any aftermarket electrical.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was the battery voltage of the charged battery? That is indeed an odd sound, never seen that happen. Your ECU technically can't make a "clicking" sound, or technically any sound as there are no moving parts. I would bet it's the flasher relay that someone has clipped to the ECU there. That's an aftermarket flasher relay too, and doesn't go there. If there's aftermarket electrical parts, usually what causes stuff like this, as people tend to **** up electrical components and systems installing any aftermarket electrical.
Battery had 12.9 voltage after charging. It shouldn't be an aftermarket relay since I'm the first owner and didn't change anything. Maybe the workshop changed it without my knowlegde. Also, a friend of mine told me that maybe a magnet from the starter is sticking somewhere? is that even a thing?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel for you..... I have no idea what would cause that. Electrical isn't my strongest asset, but I can usually diagnose the basic/common failures. I've never seen what your videos show? Is it possible that "new" battery has the terminals reversed? Some manufactures make two models of the same battery, the only difference is the terminals are opposite. I had it happen recently, but could it before I installed it. Good luck-
I checked twice before reinstalling so that shouldn't be the problem :/ The bike worked just fine a month ago and out of a sudden it started doing this...

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Battery had 12.9 voltage after charging. It shouldn't be an aftermarket relay since I'm the first owner and didn't change anything. Maybe the workshop changed it without my knowlegde. Also, a friend of mine told me that maybe a magnet from the starter is sticking somewhere? is that even a thing?
Hmm looks aftermarket, but if you're the first owner then it definitely isn't. That is enough voltage, but was that the OEM battery? If it was the wrong battery it could cause issues as well. It is possible that somehow, the ECU went bad, its very rare, but does happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts