Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a sport touring tire they recommend? Something more "bang for the buck" type of deal?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Big fan of my metzler z8s, but you'd have to bump up to a 150 rear. Same story for michelin pr3/4s which are also great tires.

The Michelins are not cheap, but they will last forever on this bike, so there is bang for the buck in longevity.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I second the Pilot Road 3 front and Pilot Road 4 combination. That's what I use on my bike. As above the cost savings comes from the longevity. However, equally importantly for sport touring, not only is the dry grip good, but the wet grip is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pr3/4 would be a great option in anything but super hot, AZ summer, type riding. All the sipes get squishy in severe heat. Other than that, fantastic tires.

I chose metzlers on price and familiarity, I ran m5s on my last bike so I was already comfortable with them. They are squaring off a tad after 5k miles but there's plenty of tread left. I'm sure some of that is lack of attention to tire pressure though, so I can't really complain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i always go for ride if it rains... makes me so much better in the dry....
how can you tour and choose the weather .. you will get caught out sometime....
better get into the wet sooner than later and enjoy it.......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Metzler makes dual compounds in a 150 touring (m7) which gets rave reviews. I wasn't willing to go to a wider rear though - I asked them about a 140 and they're thinking about it but haven't heard anything back yet saying they were willing to manufacture this tire in this size.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Metzler makes dual compounds in a 150 touring (m7) which gets rave reviews. I wasn't willing to go to a wider rear though - I asked them about a 140 and they're thinking about it but haven't heard anything back yet saying they were willing to manufacture this tire in this size.
I have the Metzeler M7 RR's on my R3; 110 on the front, 150 on the rear. I love them. Super confidence inspiring, even when the road is covered in sand, which is ultimately why I chose them over the more popular S20's.
The 150 feels more stable - it adds a little weight to the steering - not slower, but just feels more planted when riding in a straight line. If anyone asked, yes, I'd highly recommend them.

BUT.. having said that, if you're looking for commuter tires, these ain't them. The fuel tank seems a lot smaller riding on these, and straight line speed has tailed off a little. Last year on the stockers, I managed 182km/hr - now, on the Metzelers I couldn't break 176km/hr. Way more rolling resistance compared to stock (they even feel sticky to the touch, whereas the stockers always felt like a toy tire off a big wheels). And whatever straight line speeds I've lost, I've way more than gained in the corners. Corners are more fun anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts