Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there were several different threads where spring options are mentioned. I thought I’d start a thread where we can all put out preferences so it is easier to find the options out there.

Front Springs

For the front, I have found the Penske springs to be a good choice. What I like about them is the shorter Over All Length (OAL) then oem as well as RaceTech springs. In general, I have found the RT springs to be close in length to oem. The shorter OAL gives you different suspension tuning options because the spring takes up less volume in the fork (about 80mm shorter; volume is 2.2 in3 vs. 2.9 in3 for oem for my example)

http://shop.penskeshocks.com/FORK-SPRINGS/

I have not tried sonic springs yet. The thing about them is that they will make a spring to your spec. I have a bike (longer term project) that has fork length limitations, so I wanted to get as short as a spring in there as I could (without compromising the longevity of the spring strength).

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/

Rear Springs

Sonic does rear springs but I have used HyperCoils (dark red) or Eibach (Blue) on my bikes. There are lots of places to get these springs from so shop around as costs vary. Each are quality options and come in lots of sizes that can work on the oem shock or for aftermarket shocks.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Thanks. I knew about the Krooztune option and the JP cycle option. It was discussed at length here:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/713-yamaha-r3-how-diy/3858-can-lowered.html

I guess what I was hoping for was an aftermarket solution that has a better shock (not stock) with a matched spring setup with a mild lowering around 0.5"

I found a spring hat that you can buy that you add into the stock setup. But again, it uses the stock setup. What I thought would be nice is a lowering spring that has a progressive rate and a shock that has a better damping / valving (nitrogen charged) setup. Based on what you are saying just buying a different spring (6" length) would be a start. So really you just need to find a shock to match and voila! But the trick would be to find one that is a good fit for your body weight I guess or get an adjustable one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bluebird,

You cannot swap a spring to shorten the shock.

If you could shorten the shock by decreasing your working range by 0.5", you would only have 0.75" (1.25" - 0.5") left to handle your suspension needs. You would have to potentially stiffen the spring to handle your suspension needs.

Another way to decrease the seat height would be to soften your rear spring height since you indicated your weight was only 155 and go with a slightly greater sag distance. what preload setting are you using now? You could experiment some with the oem setup before buying anything.

Making the rear a bit softer and going with a larger sag setting might let the back down a bit. I would do something similar to the front to keep the spring rates close and take advantage of the longish front working range (5.1"). You might not get 0.5" but you might end up netting much of it.

I read more posts last night and see you have been asking this alot. Start a thread, and I will try to help guide you. Others will too. I suspect you are not the only one wanting it lower.

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts