Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new R3 gear shifting is weird after 300 kms not smooth as they used to be... they feel sticky i need to check twice if it changed the gear especially downshifting and need to release clutch halfway for it to completely change the gear. Do I need to tighten the clutch?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
There haven't been many responses and I know when reading this I'm not quite getting what's going on. Are you able to provide a little more detail to what's happening?

Also some additional questions: Was the bike sitting for a long period of time? Are you still using the factory fill oil? When you say release, you mean engaging the clutch (out away from bar)?

I know I experienced a slight period during break-in where the gearbox wasn't as smooth as it is now at 4k miles, nor when brand new. That's pretty normal during break-in probably but it wasn't so drastic that I couldn't switch gears, more neutrals than intended if anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Omega..
Thanks for your response.
So when i am downshifting i can actually feel that gear is not fully shifted and its somewhere in the middle.. so i have to press down again tonmake sure it shifted properly.
I am still using all factory oils..
Release in the sense engaging the clutch out away from the bar and then infee the gear shifting properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it like 3 months ago and only took it out like 6 times so far due to heavy rains... forgot to mention i did ride it in the rain once for about 10 mins ..not heavy rain and not much water on streets.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ah I see this makes more sense now thanks for the update.

I asked if you were using factory oil as it's not quite as smooth as others may be, but that's ok keep it until you're ready to change.

Sounds like the clutch is staying engaged slightly when you pull in the lever - this is assuming you're pushing down on the shifter completely to the end of it's stroke with enough force (don't break it though lol). Smoothly push down on the lever with your foot all the way through the stroke, don't try to rush it or you may short stroke which can cause this.

If you're sure your footing isn't causing this, adjust the lever seems like it's not disengaging completely. You'll need to do this probably at least twice before 1000km - the cable when new will stretch a bit, also take the opportunity to lube the cable appropriately as well.

I've included two posts below, one to adjust the lever and the other to show you how to lube (I wouldn't worry about lubing the throttle cable for now, but do lube the clutch cable if possible). I'd get a cable lube too, it makes it much easier than the methods in the video - you don't necessarily need to lube it right this minute, but I'd get the tool and lube it asap, it's pretty cheap.

How to Adjust Levers: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-set-and-adjust-your-controls-basic-rider-tips-mc-garage (there's a video at the bottom too).
Lube cables:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Omega will adjust Lever tonight. And Lube it probably this weekend.

Thanks for your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts