Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to take my air box apart to see what the snorkel was all about and I got two of them removed easily but one of them (the middle one) was stuck.

It stripped SO easily and I ended up having to take the seat and gas tank cover off in order to get a pair of vice grips on it to remove it.

Ended up going to Lowe's and got a set of hex bolts to replace them.

In searching the internet the R6 and R1 owners apparently have the same problem.

It seems like the stock bolts are some kind of really really soft metal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just cleaned my bmc filter on my R1 and didn't see any issues with the screws.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The only 'issue' I had when I initially did my build was that I managed to strip an airbox cover screw (the last one of course) - I had to drill it out, because it was on there TIGHT - I did what you did, replaced them all with socket-head bolts - good to go.

Removing the airbox is a bit involved - basically remove all bodywork and gas tank so you can get to throttle bodies - I haven't done it myself, but there isn't much wiggle room to get it out unless you pull off a lot of other stuff.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I stripped one and had to use a good screwdriver with bite marks and ease it out. Replacement bolt from dealer. Yes too tight and BS.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I even tried a grabit damaged screw out attachments and all it did was drill into the bolt head further! In any case, not a bit deal since I've got it all sorted now.

I forgot to mention when I opened it up, the air filter was chewed up. Apparently a mouse had started to make a little nest in there!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Remember guys, these are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. To get them out you really should use JIS screwdrivers. Mine were in tight too, but I have had no problems as long as I use the proper JIS screwdriver.

In fact, all the screws on this bike are JIS. Pick up a good set of JIS screwdriver. It makes working on these bikes so much easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember guys, these are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. To get them out you really should use JIS screwdrivers. Mine were in tight too, but I have had no problems as long as I use the proper JIS screwdriver.

In fact, all the screws on this bike are JIS. Pick up a good set of JIS screwdriver. It makes working on these bikes so much easier.
Didn't know that. But still, aren't the stock air box bolts a really soft metal of some kind? They seemed like a crappy aluminum

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can any one provide a more in depth scenario of how they removed these screws? I stripped the first one and had to drill new thread in it to remove it ... Second one same thing but I haven't had any success with it ... I haven't even gotten to the third one yet ... And what screws did you buy to replace them with?

·
Registered
169 Posts
So I'm not the only one, and I'm in India, also had the same issue, all screws were tight and had to remove with excessive force and used hammer to knock it down. Using better screws with just hand tight torque only.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts

Until this ^^ comment, I didn't even know this was a thing! Thank you Capitalview - I'll probably grab a set of JIS screwdrivers now; it's likely that A) a lot of Japanese bike use this, and B) this won't be my only/last bike. Probably a cheap, but very worthwhile investment!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just replaced mine with appropriate sized hex socket cap screws. They are exactly the same size allen key as the fairings 4MM. One less tool needed to work on the bike, and I put proper stainless hardware. It's a major win IMO.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can any one provide a more in depth scenario of how they removed these screws? I stripped the first one and had to drill new thread in it to remove it ... Second one same thing but I haven't had any success with it ... I haven't even gotten to the third one yet ... And what screws did you buy to replace them with?
I think what I did was used a dremel to make a long straight line and then was able to get the bolt out with a flathead screwdriver. I may have also used a pair of vice grips to get them out. Can't recall but it was tough. Once out, I took it to Lowe's and they matched the thread size for me and I bought 4 new stainless hex bolts. Won't have that problem again.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Until this ^^ comment, I didn't even know this was a thing! Thank you Capitalview - I'll probably grab a set of JIS screwdrivers now; it's likely that A) a lot of Japanese bike use this, and B) this won't be my only/last bike. Probably a cheap, but very worthwhile investment!
Thanks to both Capitalview and Chelina. Nice. I appreciate the effort you both took to explain and visually show info I was not aware of. Unlike most of my posts, there really are some good discussions that add knowledge to this forum. Well done.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So I wanted to take my air box apart to see what the snorkel was all about and I got two of them removed easily but one of them (the middle one) was stuck.

It stripped SO easily and I ended up having to take the seat and gas tank cover off in order to get a pair of vice grips on it to remove it.

Ended up going to Lowe's and got a set of hex bolts to replace them.

In searching the internet the R6 and R1 owners apparently have the same problem.

It seems like the stock bolts are some kind of really really soft metal.
The standard Snap On fits very well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts