Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the stock muffler. Since a lot here have simply removed it because the box limits the majority of the sound and the muffler makes little difference...

Has anyone cut it open and replaced the guts with a perforated tube from another slipon and packing? That way you keep the look

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m with you. Most of the aftermarket doesn’t wind up looking anywhere near as integrated as the stock one. Personally I think they all sound about the same until you ditch the cat and open a new can of expensive worms. Some louder or deeper versions of the same lawnmower. I watched a video of some guy laboriously running a 1” hole saw on an extension to gain a straight shot thru a stock can. End result was a near nothing change in tone with the new addition of some pops and bangs. No thanks. As far as building a Flowmaster for an R3...might work, but my guess is a similar outcome for a lotta effort. I really considered trying exactly what you outlined, think once you start looking at how overbuilt that thing is you’ll realize, (as I did), that it is gonna be one serious nut to crack.
My 2 cents worth of advice, Paint It. Throw any other HighTemp color on it than black and it’ll look so good you won’t care what it sounds like.
wedgeSG

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like the look of the stock muffler. Since a lot here have simply removed it because the box limits the majority of the sound and the muffler makes little difference...

Has anyone cut it open and replaced the guts with a perforated tube from another slipon and packing? That way you keep the look
Not worth the effort. Even a normal slip-on muffler - one that's meant to be a slip-on muffler - doesn't appreciably change the way the bike runs, or make much difference to how it sounds. They're lighter, but a hack job on the stock muffler isn't going to do that, given that most of the weight is the outer shell. If you like the way the stock muffler looks, just leave it alone!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the stock muffler and looked in it. If you look in the back of it you can see the plug about 10" in. I get people taking a holesaw on a extension and drilling that out. Im just going to leave it alone and run the slipon I bought.

One tip for removing the muffler, loosen the clamp enough to spread the clamp apart enough to slide it forward off the muffler before twisting the muffler off. There is a tang on the clamp that will catch on the gasket and tear it. Once the muffler is off you can remove the clamp without damaging the gasket. Will save you from having to replace the gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts