Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I finished with the break in I started to ride a little more aggressively, and the F·$%%& rear tire lost grip at least 3 times.
As many of you have already commented, the stock michelin pilot streets are a big piece of crap SPECIALLY the rear! (Shame on michelin and yamaha for that).
I think that the best way to go is to buy a pair of S20; but right now I'm a little tight in $$.
So I wast thinking of replacing only the rear at least until I have enough cash to replace both.
But I'm uncertain that doing so will affect the balance of the bike too much, now having more grip on the rear probably may cause the front to start sliding? A rear slip can be saved, but if the front looses grip it is an almost certain downside.
Has anyone tried this combination? Does it work fine for fairly aggressive riding?

thks;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Replace tyres as a set,
don't mix Radials and Bias ply tyres or is even more deadly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The stock tires are ok for what they are a longer lasting tire the front tire tested better then some other brands, but you can't really push it hard like you can with a street racing tire. My S20s for $210 free shipping The S20s are really good tires once they are broken in slowly and safely. Then I just do a warm up ride 30 min to the hills and then lean into the turns and watch out for sand and gravel and water a few squirrels deer etc. New skin on your body cost more then $210.00 and the $60-80 charge for the balance and install. Make sure they don't chip your rims don't be shy and let them know. I had them take off that ugly chain guard thing while they were at it. The stock tires are mild sport and feel like a grease marker on the road at times but controllable if your not racing around. These S20 are for street and track they feel much different and they are much lighter tire then the Mich Pilot. having two different brands also means two different weights. Heavy stock front tire and light weight back tire. or other way around no good. I did a lot of hard stop practice on those stock tires back only then front only then both etc. Gets you ready for the real thing when it happens because it does. it really helped me when it did happen. You get better feel of the bike when its sliding down the road in a real situation.
Enjoy you new bike and be safe.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Replace tyres as a set,
don't mix Radials and Bias ply tyres or is even more deadly.
Agree - now that's not to say it hasn't been done successfully (mixing brands, not radial/bias ply, that is) - some racers have done it (Pirelli rear, Dunlop fronts, etc.) because they liked the feel of that combo or so they could double-up on contingency money, but most manufacturers closed that loop hole so you don't see it very often (except for rain tires, and still fairly rare).

Mfgr's build front/rears as a matched set and more often than not, that's going to give the best ride quality.

(I'm currently running Pirelli DR rear and SC2 front, btw)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts