Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys and gals? I've lurked this forum from time to time and now I need everyone's help. My 2015 R3 was stolen about 3 weeks ago. Had it next to the car port. Guys waited in the empty lot across from the house until i left for work and threw it in a truck. Well the cops found it yesterday and I picked it up today. It's in pretty bad shape.

Before

after

Needless to say I have a long road ahead of me. I didn't have full coverage insurance and I'm happy that they found it all. I think the motor is sound but it looks like they laid it down, painted it, and just beat the **** out of it the last 3 weeks. Cosmetically the only thing that won't have to be replaced is probably the wheels. So I've decided to make the bike my project. First thing I need to do is get the ignition fixed. first they tired to break the ignition and then they tried to hot wire it. They did a pretty awful job but I think a simple replacement will fix the issue.

So here is where I need everyone's help. Is there an instruction manual out there on how to replace the ignition? Where is the best place to get a replacement ignition? Any comments, suggestions, or words of wisdom?

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMO buy original and get them to order you a workshop manual. Is there a Heins manual for the R3? maybe google it to see!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't even wrap my head around this.
You did not have full coverage on it, so you left it outside next to the carport?
You couldn't put it INSIDE the house? I'm very sorry to have to say this... but... are you STUPID?

And look what happened to it. Did a bunch of naked rabid monkeys on crack cocaine steal it?
My god. Seriously. People are beyond insane.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a key, tank ,and tail section, matching keyset if your are interested $150 for all 3 pieces and 2 matching keys.
also I have a set of red fairings that are intact.

drilling out the ignition switch is the hardest part. but not impossible.

after you drill out the rivets, try and see if you can back out the bolts.

you might want to convert that to a track bike

or sell it as a clean title project for someone else. maybe get $2000, $2500 out of it

then find a $3000 to $3500 ish clean title street bike.
I bought mine in october for $3150, so the deals are out there.

But if you start to add up all the prices of the parts you just sources to get it back to street and clean... you might be close to $1000 bucks.

and if that's the case, i know tons of track people that would love a track ready bike for $2000 to $2500. since they are going to drill out the key switch, remove the fairings, rearsets, clip ons etc... and you have the title...

Sorry for your loss... Yeah full coverage next time..
DM if interested in pricing out parts...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a key, tank ,and tail section, matching keyset if your are interested $150 for all 3 pieces and 2 matching keys.
also I have a set of red fairings that are intact.

drilling out the ignition switch is the hardest part. but not impossible.

after you drill out the rivets, try and see if you can back out the bolts.

you might want to convert that to a track bike

or sell it as a clean title project for someone else. maybe get $2000, $2500 out of it

then find a $3000 to $3500 ish clean title street bike.
I bought mine in october for $3150, so the deals are out there.

But if you start to add up all the prices of the parts you just sources to get it back to street and clean... you might be close to $1000 bucks.

and if that's the case, i know tons of track people that would love a track ready bike for $2000 to $2500. since they are going to drill out the key switch, remove the fairings, rearsets, clip ons etc... and you have the title...

Sorry for your loss... Yeah full coverage next time..
DM if interested in pricing out parts...
I'm honestly not worried about the money so much. These bikes are pretty cheap so I wasn't all that concerned with full coverage. It was on the to do list since I had full coverage on it but had it in storage for a bit last year. Just never got around to bumping it back up.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the bike right now. Since I don't have a place to work on it at the house I'm going to be taking of a spot in the basement shop of a relative of mine. I plan on getting the bike in there saturday and really start looking at the condition of the bike. It's covered in drywall dust so I've got to get that cleaned up so I can better see what i'm working with. I'm going to try and fix it if it's mechanically sound. From what I'm seeing it will probably run me about $1500 to fix everything if the bike is mechanically sound. Most of the stuff that is damaged I wanted to replace anyway so this may be an opportunity to justify to my wife on spending the money.

I can't even wrap my head around this.
You did not have full coverage on it, so you left it outside next to the carport?
You couldn't put it INSIDE the house? I'm very sorry to have to say this... but... are you STUPID?

And look what happened to it. Did a bunch of naked rabid monkeys on crack cocaine steal it?
My god. Seriously. People are beyond insane.
No where to put a motocycle inside my house. next to the carport is the only place I have to put it. We just moved into this house about 4 months ago so I wasn't aware how bad the crime was in the area. If and when I get it put back together I'll be getting a GPS locator and finding a spot behind the house to park it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
R3 rebuild post theft

Firstly irrelevant of insurance these are scumbags of the lowest sort, as for the bike I purchased an R3 that had been stolen from a kids backyard, it had been abused and stripped, and like you the guy was down on the insurance side of things, so this is where i come in, I paid him £1200 for the bike, a 2015 abs model.
so the list-
ignition destroyed-replaced with Yamaha original, held in with 2x socket screws,real easy to change, also got the filler cap and seat lock as they were all damaged!
purchased a Delkevic end can as they had removed the original
both foot rests destroyed-replaced with shark rearsets (china)
shorty levers and resevoir as they had CUT the original off, and one of the clip ons was broken (yamaha brake pipe)
second hand speedo of ebay
new set of S20 evo's (bridgestone) highly recommended. pinstripe on rims
2x new mirrors ebay
new grips (did the tie wrap conversion)
new front fairing stay as this was bent
removed rear licence plate holder for a Chinese conversion with indicators (LED)
and finally as there was pretty much nothing left of the body work and headlights had been removed, so got a new full set from china.
added a swing arm cover with hugger, which i bought when i was on vacation in Thailand

Okay so I have written on here about using Chinese items, i have done okay with mine and as a less expensive way of doing the repairs it is a good option I know because I have done it. (at the time there was not much in the way of used spares in the UK)

Last weekend i did the Kawasaki ER6 rear shock conversion for £25, and it is brilliant. Hyperpro fork springs to follow.

I have had no training or manual available and have managed to do the whole job myself, these bike are really easy and logical to work on, my biggest issue is that I didn't have the original body work to copy unlike you have , but once again a bit of studying and help from an article on the forum and the guys that contribute to the forum, managed to rebuild the bike...see before and after pix.
if i can help with anything let me know, been there and got the T shirt so to speak!

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Bike thieves are certainly slimy cockroach sh1t.
You hope to catch them in the act, so you can beat them to within an inch of their life.
The bike is always completely trashed shortly after they get their little roach claws on it.
They have no skills. They just take stuff that belongs to others.
All they deserve is a brutal beating followed by a very long prison sentence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly irrelevant of insurance these are scumbags of the lowest sort, as for the bike I purchased an R3 that had been stolen from a kids backyard, it had been abused and stripped, and like you the guy was down on the insurance side of things, so this is where i come in, I paid him £1200 for the bike, a 2015 abs model.
so the list-
ignition destroyed-replaced with Yamaha original, held in with 2x socket screws,real easy to change, also got the filler cap and seat lock as they were all damaged!
purchased a Delkevic end can as they had removed the original
both foot rests destroyed-replaced with shark rearsets (china)
shorty levers and resevoir as they had CUT the original off, and one of the clip ons was broken (yamaha brake pipe)
second hand speedo of ebay
new set of S20 evo's (bridgestone) highly recommended. pinstripe on rims
2x new mirrors ebay
new grips (did the tie wrap conversion)
new front fairing stay as this was bent
removed rear licence plate holder for a Chinese conversion with indicators (LED)
and finally as there was pretty much nothing left of the body work and headlights had been removed, so got a new full set from china.
added a swing arm cover with hugger, which i bought when i was on vacation in Thailand

Okay so I have written on here about using Chinese items, i have done okay with mine and as a less expensive way of doing the repairs it is a good option I know because I have done it. (at the time there was not much in the way of used spares in the UK)

Last weekend i did the Kawasaki ER6 rear shock conversion for £25, and it is brilliant. Hyperpro fork springs to follow.

I have had no training or manual available and have managed to do the whole job myself, these bike are really easy and logical to work on, my biggest issue is that I didn't have the original body work to copy unlike you have , but once again a bit of studying and help from an article on the forum and the guys that contribute to the forum, managed to rebuild the bike...see before and after pix.
if i can help with anything let me know, been there and got the T shirt so to speak!

good luck
Man that is so awesome. How did you get the security bolts out of the ignition? I just got my bike in the shop and haven't really had a chance to look at it. Also did you happen to have to replace the fuse box? I may have to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks motootto, It was a while back now and to be honest i don't recall it being an issue, or I would have been stuck myself, might be worth asking a parts supplier for a picture, i will look as well.
Can I ask why you might have to change the fuse box?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks motootto, It was a while back now and to be honest i don't recall it being an issue, or I would have been stuck myself, might be worth asking a parts supplier for a picture, i will look as well.
Can I ask why you might have to change the fuse box?
it looks like they someone caught the fusebox on fire. I think the powder all over it is actually left over from a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What the **** is wrong with people, holy **** I hope they found these idiots... Definitely caught the fuse box on fire...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it's pretty banged up. Looks like they blasted it with a fire extinguisher so i'm trying to figure out the best way to get all of that off powder off the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can get fairings on ebay that are relatively cheap compared to stock. I have no idea how good they are.
They have different decals so they don't look stock.

I was thinking about getting some for a different bike but have been holding off cause I don't know anything about the quality.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Charles, if you see me post on page one you will see the end product, this is the third lot i have used and they are very good, i have use them on both my fire blades, and on the R3, if you are handy then you should have no trouble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found a wire harness off a wrecked bike for $26 on ebay. Should be here by friday. Plan on spending saturday taking the bike out and cleaning off all the fire extinguisher residue and then replacing the wire harness. I'm not sure about how to clean the electrical though. Maybe just a wipe down with a damp rag?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You should just convert it to a naked road-warrior style bike.
Don't put fairings back on it. Make it into an ugly MT-03. That would be cool.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts