·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
See:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2019-yamaha-r3-first-look-review?CMPID=ene101418

Some nice improvements, but I hate the new tachometer.

Note also the 5mph improvement in top speed, even though the engine is unchanged. Instead, 7% Better AERODYNAMICS.

And, there is an error. Since the bars are now 22mm lower, that's 7/8" lower, not 1/8" lower (misprint in the article).

Jim G
Jim, according to Yamaha's own website, they're using a 41mm (not 37mm) front end. They have the specs for the 2019 model listed. Yamaha may be wrong, but I suspect not. This is a good write-up. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, according to Yamaha's own website, they're using a 41mm (not 37mm) front end. They have the specs for the 2019 model listed. Yamaha may be wrong, but I suspect not. This is a good write-up. Thanks for posting it.
OR, MAYBE the 41mm forks are like the "sealed chain" on our 2018 Z125s? :)

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
OR, MAYBE the 41mm forks are like the "sealed chain" on our 2018 Z125s? :)

Jim G
You may be right. All I'm able to do is read their literature on specs. But they may have it wrong. And I certainly wouldn't know if I had a 2019 in front of me. :eek: Thanks again for the article. I get Motorcyclist magazine, but seldom look at their on-line articles. Good writeup, it reminds me of some of their magazine content before they turned into a coffee table publication.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great bike and at a very affordable price. I like everything about the '19 model except the tach. If I was the Yamaha engineer for the R3, I would have left the tach alone and instead provided a decent rear shock with at least rebound damping along with cartridge forks, then raise the MRSP about $400. But they don't listen to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great bike and at a very affordable price. I like everything about the '19 model except the tach. If I was the Yamaha engineer for the R3, I would have left the tach alone and instead provided a decent rear shock with at least rebound damping along with cartridge forks, then raise the MRSP about $400. But they don't listen to me.
I agree with you. They should have left the tachometer as it was before since it looked way better that way. Another thing which I dislike is the front appearence. I mean, the LED lights are a huge improvement along with the inverted forks but I really wish they kept the front appearence to look the same as the other R3 models but with LED light instead etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
The last photo in the article shows two people gathered around an R1 with an R3 to the side ... maybe they're hoping noobs don't notice? lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just re-read the article and noticed they changed the stock tires to Dunlop instead of the Michelins. Anyone care to comment on the change? Would it be an upgrade or about the same?
I would consider it to be an upgrade as the Michelin Pilot Streets are a bias-ply tyre and the Dunlop Sportmax GPR300's are a radial.

The Dunlops come as stock tyres on the Ninja 400 too. They feel good and I haven't had any slips with them but they seem to be wearing a little quicker than I expected. Will be lucky to get 10,000km out of the rear.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
I would consider it to be an upgrade as the Michelin Pilot Streets are a bias-ply tyre and the Dunlop Sportmax GPR300's are a radial.

The Dunlops come as stock tyres on the Ninja 400 too. They feel good and I haven't had any slips with them but they seem to be wearing a little quicker than I expected. Will be lucky to get 10,000km out of the rear.
Yeah, I checked the cost of the Dunlops. More expensive than Michelin Pilots Streets (Even in their Radial versions), but probably in line with the cost of other mfg's mentioned on this forum as replacement alternatives for the R3. And I'm afraid extra grip/performance usually equals less wear/longevity.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You consider 10,000km = 6200 miles "QUICK WEAR"?? Heck, I look for tires that will last 4000 miles = 6500 miles, as I value great traction and my personal body much more than the $300 or $400 the tires will cost me.

Jim G

·
Registered
64 Posts
You consider 10,000km = 6200 miles "QUICK WEAR"?? Heck, I look for tires that will last 4000 miles = 6500 miles, as I value great traction and my personal body much more than the $300 or $400 the tires will cost me.

Jim G
That's fine Jim, I wasn't wanting to start a tyre debate here on this thread.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's fine Jim, I wasn't wanting to start a tyre debate here on this thread.
Neither was I. I understand the differences tire life expectations. One of my best friends with a large cruiser won't consider any tire that delivers less than 20,000 km. And, some of HIS friends put car tires on their bikes to get longer tire life. :)

But getting back on the thread topic, the Dunlops are probably a big improvement over the Michelin Pilot Streets. Nobody seemed to like the Michelins.

Jim G

·
Registered
64 Posts
Neither was I. I understand the differences tire life expectations. One of my best friends with a large cruiser won't consider any tire that delivers less than 20,000 km. And, some of HIS friends put car tires on their bikes to get longer tire life. :)

But getting back on the thread topic, the Dunlops are probably a big improvement over the Michelin Pilot Streets. Nobody seemed to like the Michelins.

Jim G
Car tires! Lol.

I dont have any experience with the Pilot Streets but I had the Pilot Sport Radials on my CBR300 which seemed to handle and stick OK and could get 10,000km's out of the rear at the same time, but that's not too surprising with only 31HP to deal with. :p

I'm doing a track day next month on the Dunlops, should be a good acid test for them I'm thinking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

just a comment to the old stock pilot streets:

With the stock Pilot Street tires hard front braking always leeds to active ABS on the front. Now with S20 Evo's i was not brave enough to press the front brake quick enough to activate ABS on the front. All my attemps with the S20's to get the front ABS working have leed to a rising rear (up to some frightening heights).

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. . . Why would Michelin even put their name on a piece of garbage tire like the original stock tires? I'm hoping to upgrade in the spring.
Because Yamaha wanted a low price from Michelin for the tires, so Michelin made this "OEM" version non-radial tire for Yamaha, and of course subsequently offered for retail sale as a replacement tire "for the factory OEM tire". :)

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
Because Yamaha wanted a low price from Michelin for the tires, so Michelin made this "OEM" version non-radial tire for Yamaha, and of course subsequently offered for retail sale as a replacement tire "for the factory OEM tire". :)

Jim G
And also offered an "upgraded" version of the same tire, the Michelin Pilot Street Radial. Not a bad marketing ploy on Yamaha or Michelin's part, though.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Not to get too far off topic, but I never hear anyone talk about the Michelin Pilot Street Radial tires and how they compare to the likes of the S20's and other brands. Not saying that Michelin is the 'be all, end all' of brands but they do put a lot of money into R&D. Although its too bad that some of their tires really are crap - I guess that's the way it is for all brands. More curious than anything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts