Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I seem to have ran into a weird issue with my key/ignition cylinder. When I put my key in, or take it out there's a lot of resistance. This isn't really a problem but it takes a considerable amount of force to remove/insert and that's annoying me.

I only recently found out about the problem as the last time I rode was thanksgiving. The bike did sit out in the rain for a few hours that day, and I rode it on the highway in the rain.

Help :(?

·
Registered
732 Posts
That sucks, especially for a new bike. So it isn't wear & tear. Maybe random debris or possible some random D-bag miscreant decided to be even more of an Ahole and put something in there? Rain shouldn't affect it, Maybe put some graphite in there and try to work the key and see if the resistance dissipates?

It's a long shot, since the steel keys wear little, and again, it is a new key, but have you tried both keys? Do they have the same issue? At least you can eliminate the key and makr the ignition as the culprit.

You could try to take apart the cylinder and see if you can find something wrong. If you have to replace it and re-key it, that would suck because then you'd have to replace the gas tank lid/lock and helmet lock as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks, especially for a new bike. So it isn't wear & tear. Maybe random debris or possible some random D-bag miscreant decided to be even more of an Ahole and put something in there? Rain shouldn't affect it, Maybe put some graphite in there and try to work the key and see if the resistance dissipates?

It's a long shot, since the steel keys wear little, and again, it is a new key, but have you tried both keys? Do they have the same issue? At least you can eliminate the key and makr the ignition as the culprit.

You could try to take apart the cylinder and see if you can find something wrong. If you have to replace it and re-key it, that would suck because then you'd have to replace the gas tank lid/lock and helmet lock as well.

Good luck!
It feels so bad :/ .Both keys feel exactly the same, I doubt it would be someone messing with it as it's garaged aside from those few hours on thanksgiving.

Spray some WD-40 in the keyhole.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Anything else I can use?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Anything else I can use?
Try using a Dry Graphite spray instead.

The trick is, no matter what you're using is to not use too much. Literally just a quick shot would be sufficient of either. Better to simply coat the clean key and put it in and out a few times.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Try using a Dry Graphite spray instead.

The trick is, no matter what you're using is to not use too much. Literally just a quick shot would be sufficient of either. Better to simply coat the clean key and put it in and out a few times.
What Maverick said. I know I wrote a lot and often do in my replies. People don't like to read huge paragraphs! You might have missed it, but I mentioned graphite too.

"Maybe put some graphite in there and try to work the key and see if the resistance dissipates?"

WD-40 is the best thing since butter, but graphite is specific for the application. It is one of those things you should always have on hand.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Maverick said. I know I wrote a lot and often do in my replies. People don't like to read huge paragraphs! You might have missed it, but I mentioned graphite too.

"Maybe put some graphite in there and try to work the key and see if the resistance dissipates?"

WD-40 is the best thing since butter, but graphite is specific for the application. It is one of those things you should always have on hand.

Let us know how it goes!
Alright I'll run to the store and pick some up when I've got time and report back. I did read all of your post haha. I appreciate every reply, guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update if anybody else runs into this problem in the future, the dry graphite lube worked perfectly. Thanks everyone! Still puzzled as to why I ran into this issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I could NOT get my key into the gas tank for my 2nd refill. Had to go home and use WD-40. Like butter ever since! Run the key up and down for a few seconds to help wear it in, for both directions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts