Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is a R3 forum, but I have been unable to find a MT-03 forum. My son has a 2022 MT-03
and was charged with 60 in a 35 zone on Saturday night. Now the strange question...

He wasn't clocked using radar so the officer has no proof on his part about the speed. The only way he
got the 60mph part was because my son kinda goofed and told the trooper ( NC ) that he thought he was
doing about 60.

He had just pulled away from a dead stop at a traffic light. He went approximately 150 feet from the dead
stop to the point of the traffic stop.

My question is...can a MT-03 go from a dead stop...to 60 and back to 0....in about 150 feet???

I figure he was only accelerating maybe half that distance...

I apologize for the rambling first post...just trying to help my kid out if possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize this is a R3 forum, but I have been unable to find a MT-03 forum. My son has a 2022 MT-03
and was charged with 60 in a 35 zone on Saturday night. Now the strange question...

He wasn't clocked using radar so the officer has no proof on his part about the speed. The only way he
got the 60mph part was because my son kinda goofed and told the trooper ( NC ) that he thought he was
doing about 60.

He had just pulled away from a dead stop at a traffic light. He went approximately 150 feet from the dead
stop to the point of the traffic stop.

My question is...can a MT-03 go from a dead stop...to 60 and back to 0....in about 150 feet???

I figure he was only accelerating maybe half that distance...

I apologize for the rambling first post...just trying to help my kid out if possible.
Your son's word against the cop - a "trained professional." A judge won't care about the capabilities of the bike, your son admitted to doing 60 in a 35, and it was observed by a cop. End of story, pay the bailiff. With all due respect, this a teachable moment. Teach your son to keep his mouth shut when dealing with law enforcement. Period. We all go through the process, some better than others. Some learn, some pay. Some pay, than learn, than pay less... :) I've been on both sides, keep observing. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
The R3 and MT-03 are basically the same bike. The R3's just dressed up for the dance.
One saving grace MAY be that the MT-03's speedometer, like most motorcycle's, is generally 5-10% optimistic. So, instead of 60 MPH, the actual speed was probably closer to 54-57 MPH. A few MPH may not sound like a big deal, but in some states, it's huge. A citation written for "15 MPH OVER" the posted speed limit is automatic suspension of driver's privileges. Well worth asking the court for a 1 or 2 MPH deduction of the citation and pleading guilty to the lesser offence.
Good Luck.

Reactions: enshiu

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha R3
164 Posts
IIRC the 1st Gen R3 has a 0-60 in the 5-second range. I think it might be 5.5s. That is with a professional rider on a closed course. Given that information, I think anyone would be hard-pressed to get to 60MPH within 150ft. That being said (and with a wife who is an attorney), if he admitted to it and it comes down to he said/she said, the judge is going to believe the officer 6 days out of 5. Additionally, and not trying to get into your business, it sounds like him just getting a ticket at that speed is a blessing. In many locales, at a certain delta above the speed limit (15 or 20MPH), you can also get tagged with reckless driving, show of speed, etc. He is getting off easy.

PS This comes from someone who had their license suspended in his (much) younger days for getting too many speeding tickets.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Distance (in miles) to achieve a specific speed at a given acceleration rate = ((Velocity initial + Velocity final)/2) * elapsed time (in hours)
or:
((0 + 60)/2)(5.5/3600) = 30.0015 =.045 miles * 5280feet = 237.6 feet.

So. the answer is no, the MT03/R3 cannot hit 60MPH in 150 feet, even with an expert rider.

Your son is going to get a ticket for a speed he was not doing by his own admission, that the motorcycle is not capable of attaining in the distance stated. Moral of the story? NEVER admit to anything that is not in evidence. By saying "I do not know, I was focused on the road ahead"... and asking "What did you clock me doing?" would likely have resulted in a warning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts