Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to turn my R3 into a street fighter style and ive been trying to find some examples of someone who has already done one to a R3 but I cant find any. Does anyone know someone who has done this to their bike or have any tips for me? Plastics got ruined in a crash and I like the street fighter look so i figured i would give it a try. And I think it would be awesome because you dont see many people customizing 300's that much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take a weekend, disassembly the hole fairings and take a ride. If you like the resut, just buy a naked bike headlight, install it and be happy.

In your place, maybe I could assemble a modern cafe racer ou scrambler style.
Take a look at an ER6-N turnet in cafe racer, not bad at all:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/atta...carbon-fibre-cafe-racer-er6n-kit-dsc00677.jpg

Street fighter, not bad too:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f6/ea/0f/f6ea0ffcc91befea5717410989048ce2.jpg

If you're gonna do this, do it the right way, without poor mods or poor adaptations. Do not forget the pictures!

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Crap that's what I forgot to do yesterday. I had all the fairings off, and I meant to take a ride around the block like that (sans front blinkers though). I completely forgot!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Take a weekend, disassembly the hole fairings and take a ride. If you like the resut, just buy a naked bike headlight, install it and be happy.

If you're gonna do this, do it the right way, without poor mods or poor adaptations.

Make up your mind lol

There is a lot more involved than just slapping on a headlight, if it's not done right then it'll just look like a bike that's been crashed. If it is done right then it'll take a lot more time and money then you would spend repairing the damage.
Don't be one of those guys that does a half-arsed job

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yu're absolutely right.

This kind of job is for who loves it. But theese ER6s got awesome... rsrs

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
One nice thing about the R3 is that the plastics are pretty darn cheap to replace. I'd have to guess that the MT-03 trim pieces fit right up to the stripped R3 and if that ends up being th case, picking up the necessary trim pieces for the MT-03 and switching over should be a fairly inexpensive project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the look of sportbikes. There's just nothing on two wheels that's more beautiful and eye-catching than them. So I would personally never switch from the sexy look of a superbike to a naked, but that's just me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Post up some fotos of that bad boy naked R3. I have the MT-03 and am slowly converting it to sort of an Adv bike, with engine guards, luggage rack, upgraded suspension. Great platform to do whatever you want. I replaced a Versys and a KLX400 with the MT-03. The MT has been the best of the three.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my current setup... Im just looking to get a cage and 12 oclock bar fabricated right now... Currently running -1 up front +11 in the rear and installed mika metals bars[iurl="http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61114&stc=1&d=1520500900"]
[/iurl][iurl=

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Removing all the fairing pieces also drops the weight of the bike by over 10 lb. But, as others have already pointed out, you need to then ADD some items too.

Jim G

·
Registered
197 Posts
Removing all the fairing pieces also drops the weight of the bike by over 10 lb. But, as others have already pointed out, you need to then ADD some items too.
Jim G
I would think the weight saving would be offset by the increased wind drag.
My bike still has all the bodywork, but I now have MT-03 bars installed. Have not tried them yet (winter).

·
Registered
197 Posts
At highway speeds, probably yes. At city speeds, no. So, depends on where you spend your motorcycling time.
Jim G
Yes you're right.
I am itching to see how the bike feels ergonomically with the MT-03 bars. (C'mon spring!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts