Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies, are there any ways of reducing the already light weight of the bike?
I plan to remove passenger peripherals since it will be 1up all the time. Trying to remove factory components instead purchasing replacement hardware. Getting bike in two weeks and first thing to go will be passenger foot rests, ankle guards, and rear fender.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Drop about 6 pounds by replacing the lead acid battery with a lithium-iron battery from Shorai. I did this over a month ago, and noticed the difference. Flush mount LED turn signals will also drop some weight, in addition to what you mentioned above. Rearsets will also drop a few pounds (just the factory heel guards alone weigh a pound a piece!).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two questions for you mike.
Which Shorai battery did you use exactly?
And what do you use for rear turn signals?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shorai LFX07L2-BS12, as posted in my "Bad battery" thread. About $87.00 on Amazon. I got my LED signals from TST Industries here on this forum. You can see them on my bike in my "Painted with Factory red and white" thread. Not sure how to do the link thing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are some brackets, specifically on the handlebars/triple clamp that you can probably ditch. Each isn't individually heavy, but add them up...

You can probably zip-tie most of them instead. I also think that the Spiegler lines are lighter than stock (and also allow you to remove more brackets!).

The battery thing I need to do myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both for the information!
Will rearsets affect the ergonomics of the bike? I know they tend to provide a more aggressive rider triangle, but I'd like to keep things a bit more upright.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Shorai LFX07L2-BS12, as posted in my "Bad battery" thread. About $87.00 on Amazon. I got my LED signals from TST Industries here on this forum. You can see them on my bike in my "Painted with Factory red and white" thread. Not sure how to do the link thing.
What link thing? To turn text into a clickable link?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good idea contrails. I'll brainstorm weight reduction ideas and post as I come across them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust will lose a few lbs. I also think the rear passenger seat feels heavier than it needs to be. I wonder if there's a way to shave a pound out of that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Lose that tool kit!
Hailz yea-uhhh!!! Sucker has to weigh 2 lbs.
Lighten your turn signals with smaller LEDs, lighten the battery by purchasing a Shorai Lithium Iron (i know, I always thought it was "Ion" too) battery, get a small GP style slip-on exhaust (titanium or another light weight material), get ultra light weight race style (street version) fairings, lose the big dumb alien rear fender and get the fender eliminator...
That's about 15-20 lbs gone, maybe more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dream is the same wet weight as the displacement. Around 50lb weight loss.
I'm personally 150 @ 5'11" so plenty skinny haha so that's out of the question

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
OK - I think I can actually answer this one, maybe Jesse too. Anyway, I have been weighing everything I pull off and everything I put on both to satisfy my OCD and to actually see what the numbers are.

50 lb reduction will be very difficult and keep the bike street legal. The big weight droppers are the exhaust and battery, but here's a brief break-down of what I've found so far (net reduction in weight):
Replace full exhaust (Akra, Yosh) will drop about 10 lbs.
Replace stocker with LiPo battery: 5. Those are the easy ones.
Replace bars with Clip-ons: 2.5 or so
Sato or similar rearsets: about a pound
Remove Passenger Peg - left side (right needed to mount muffler) - a pound
Remove Passenger Seat - about 3 lb.
Remove Mirrors about 3/4 lb each.

You get out of the realm of street legal with removal of these:

Kickstand assy: 2.7
Headlight assy: 5 lb
Signals, horn, cali-can/smog pump, left side controls, factory bodywork, all that stuff came off the race bike. Right now, not including the weight of race bodywork, a stripped-down, and definitely not street-legal R3 is 55.7 lbs under the weight as delivered by the dealer. If I'm lucky, I'll be close to 50 under when all is complete.

EDIT: As it turns out, I only got 45 lbs. under stock weight: http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/753-yamaha-r3-garage-build-area/39585-does-your-r3-need-diet.html

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hit the gym.
Back in the day, I raced (bicycles) when ceramic bearings were just becoming available. Some guys were using them to save maybe 20 or 30 grams for (at the time) considerable dollars. I figured I could just not wear socks and save that much.
And lose that silly bandana under your helmet, then you'll REALLY go fast! LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts