Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Stubby exhausts don't make the exhaust sound "deeper". They are just for looks, and weight savings.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My experience with these (on online 4s at least) hasn't been too positive. As cbr mentioned, they are usually just loud and raspy, although I've never heard one on a twin so this could be different.

Post up a short YouTube clip or something, I'm curious to see how this sounds on the bike

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I took off the muffler and rear foot pegs this week. Bike looks a lot sleeker and as far as I'm concerned, the sound is every bit as good as $200 slip ons. For less than 10 minutes of effort, this is the most bang for the (no) bucks you can do to your bike. Looking for cheap ways to dress up the pipe.

(post 104) http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/4689-diy-exhaust-modification-thread-11.html
Did the same thing - took off OEM canister and passenger pegs. I don't think there is a need for a slip on. As far as function goes, a slip on does nothing for this bike. Also, took off front reflectors. Bike looks and sounds much better now. I'm thinking about picking up a cbr650f exhaust cover panel, instead of a slip on.

Like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Stubby exhausts don't make the exhaust sound "deeper". They are just for looks, and weight savings.
I would like to hear it before putting money into something that sounds like i dirt bike exhaust like most exhausts for the R3 IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I would like to hear it before putting money into something that sounds like i dirt bike exhaust like most exhausts for the R3 IMO.
Agreed.
I like the look and sound of the Yoshimira Carbon Fiber Slip-On most (in the videos I've seen online) but $500+ for absolutely no gains and a slightly different sound... $ugh$

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did the same thing - took off OEM canister and passenger pegs. I don't think there is a need for a slip on. As far as function goes, a slip on does nothing for this bike. Also, took off front reflectors. Bike looks and sounds much better now. I'm thinking about picking up a cbr650f exhaust cover panel, instead of a slip on.

Like this:
I like the cbr650f piece also a lot, but I'm not willing to spend $120 for it. I'll wait for something else, it's only cosmetic anyway.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Guess the r3 is a pretty forgiving platform. I've got the cheap yoshi pipe on mine and it sounds very similar to stock, with a little more growl.

I've heard the Coffman shorty on a few bikes and it wasnt something I like. Also fired up my fz8 without a muffler once (like mikee is running) and it was unbelievably loud and "unrefined". Sounded beautiful with a slip on though, I still think about the sound of that bike near redline occasionally :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If we are going to talk about the BEST sounding motorcycle engine, my vote goes to the Aprilia V4 through a GP style muffler.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I'm not a fan of 99% of the exhausts on the market for the R3. I think it makes the R3 sound like a dirtbike/atv.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts