Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, was here before but couldn't remember my account info...

Anywho, last year everything was going great, was getting around 60mpg.

This riding season however, My MPG has dropped down to around 15-20mpg. I didn't have time to bring it to the dealership for the first service but i did change the oil and air filter. I'm trying to figure this out to do it myself but I'm really grasping at straws here.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
How is it running? Does it run smooth and does everything sound okay or is it bogging down or sputtering?
Any other symptoms, other than poor MPG?
Any mods done to the bike?
Was the bike in storage during the winter and if so, how was it prepped and stored?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't stored in the winter this year because I was riding everyday minus one week. Only mod was a Yoshi slip on done by the dealership. Running fine, still feels good. Sounds good. Just really bad MPG.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check you havn't switched it to kilometers.I just changed mine from MPG to KPL and it read 56mpg changing to 20 kpl.

·
Registered
406 Posts
At that rate you'd have to fill up every 45m,can you not change your av trip to mpg like i can.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So are you only getting about 45m from a tank or is that just what the trip is telling you.?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't imagine mileage dropping that drastically and the bike still runs the same.
Something WEIRD is going on!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I found this comment on another thread and figured it may help since it's free and pretty simple as a test

Since most of the electronics were removed from the bike, most of the fuses were removed too. We made the mistake of taking out the "back up" fuse. We couldnt get the computer to connect to the machine to do some Yamaha diagnosis. Through troubleshooting, found out that low voltage may cause this problem. The battery was fully charged, but was reading less than 4v on the computer, and at the diagnosis plug in. Looked at some wiring diagrams and realized that the "back up" fuse, was in fact connected to the ecu. So we popped that fuse back in, and reset the bikes computer. Now it seems to run much better, like it should.

I would reset it and if that doesn't work then clear out the gas that's in there, add a different brand/company (a different gas station than you used before), reset the computer, and then ride around town to see if you notice any difference.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I know this is an old posting, but calculating Canadian mileage is a hassle because of the TWO standards that are used.

I just bought my R3, and have not yet taken delivery, but I too live in Canada, and MOST (but maybe not all) Canadian vehicles are configured to display as EITHER Liters / 100 km OR as Km / liter.

If you have unknowingly selected km/liter, your "16.4" is actually 16.4 km / liter, which translates to 6.1 liters/km, which is about 39 miles per U.S. gallon. Still not good, but better than what you thought . . . :)

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts