Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost purchased the "R-25" radiator grill that Fang Shui found on Ebay, but I got to thinking about a "Superbike" style full grill, and found perforated aluminum on ebay (meant as a truck grill). I'm kind of handy with fabricating things like that, so I made a heavy paper template.

Then a posterboard mock-up (blue was what I had in the shop) to see about fitment--notice it bends to fill the side vents, too.

After careful adjustments to the template, I traced it onto the 1/16" thick aluminum and cut the line with a dremel.

Some deburring was needed to smooth the edges for the rubber edging that was purchased with the grill, then I made the 80-degree bends to the side vent sections using a vise-mounted mini metal break. Then applied the edging.

The long strip on the bottom was for attachment where the fairings come together--I replaced the plastic rivet with a bolt/washer combo.
I used zip ties through the top of the radiator, and through the former philips bolt holes at the top of the plastic "V" panel.

I had to bend it a little to form it to the slight curve in the panels; a small gap is there, but not noticable from a few feet away (unless pointed out).

Airflow seems fine. No overheating so far...

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I almost purchased the "R-25" radiator grill that Fang Shui found on Ebay, but I got to thinking about a "Superbike" style full grill, and found perforated aluminum on ebay (meant as a truck grill).
Good on Ya! Looks awesome! You should make more and sell them to Forum members....sign me up!

Were you able to install it without removing any plastics?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to remove the three inner panels, and loosen the main side fairings at the bottom and "hook". Also the smaller side fairings. The front fender had to come off to protect it from marring the paint while moving the grill into place. BTW, I just ordered the steering damper from Ebay; should be about 2-3 weeks getting here.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I had to remove the three inner panels, and loosen the main side fairings at the bottom and "hook". Also the smaller side fairings. The front fender had to come off to protect it from marring the paint while moving the grill into place. BTW, I just ordered the steering damper from Ebay; should be about 2-3 weeks getting here.
So, not too difficult. I've gotten pretty good at removing/replacing the R3 plastics and I managed not to have any "leftover hardware". That's always a Win!

I saw one full-panel screen on eBay somewhere but it was louvered plastic and looked cheap, so never posted about it.

EvoTech has a two-piece one, pricey at $120 plus shipping from UK and they charge the VAT of 20% on top of that.

http://www.evotech-performance.com/yamaha-yzf-r3-radiator-header-guard-set-2015

R&G now has one, too.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Yamaha/YZF-R3/2015_onwards/DG0019/

I think yours looks better than both of those. Very professional. :)

Hope that damper is decent....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats what keeps me occupied too, does the radiator still get what it needs(except for them dang bugs:))

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to wait until next Summer to really judge the airflow, but in the the few rides I've done so far with the grill, the engine temp gauge is reading normal and the fan stays off unless I'm stopped in traffic for extended periods (which is also normal for the R3).

By the way, I got the grill and edging from customcargrills.com, owned by Matt Sparks; he is also on Ebay, which is where I found the grill material. I still have enough to make some filler grills for my GSXR and cafe bike.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may make the template available for purchase, along with detailed instructions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is the Full Monty shot; I couldn't resist the MotoGP stickers for the swingarm and front forks. If the damper doesn't work due to the clip-ons, I'll sell it here at a reduced price.
You should make a thread where you break down what you did to it, the cost to do it and links if possible.

I was kinda thinking of something like this but white/black with a touch of red.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again. Rode 265 miles in the North Georgia mountains last Saturday, and was able to keep up with two riding buddies on their 1000s; no overheating issues riding in 68 degree weather.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I almost purchased the "R-25" radiator grill that Fang Shui found on Ebay, but I got to thinking about a "Superbike" style full grill, and found perforated aluminum on ebay (meant as a truck grill). I'm kind of handy with fabricating things like that, so I made a heavy paper template.
Which grill did you get from their website if I might ask ?
And which size did you buy ?
Thanks, bike looks awesome.

You considering selling paper cut out form, to make it easier for forum members ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Which grill did you get from their website if I might ask ?
And which size did you buy ?
Thanks, bike looks awesome.

You considering selling paper cut out form, to make it easier for forum members ?
Or even just a pdf so we could print it from home

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome paint, looks great reminiscent of the Eddie Lawson Marlboro look. I probably would have went with the speed block trailing the R3.
Are you really running Dunlops or the Michelins?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Geez. I haven't been on the forum in a few months due to a heavy work schedule (12+ hrs per day). When I made the grill, I thought about making copies of the paper template to sell to forum members, and simply forgot because I was always at work. The guy on Ebay I bought the grill screen material from even offered to manufacture the grill if there was enough interest. I could make a heavy paper copy of the template, roll it up in a mailing tube with instructions, and post a link to the ebay grill material here. Since it took a lot of research and development, $20.00 would cover the template and mailing fee. I have a PayPal account. Before I could agree to anything, the moderators would have to give me the go-ahead and the proper procedures for selling on here. Or, a PM may suffice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts