Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone try supermoto tires on the R3. Is the R3 too heavy for this kind of tire? since supermoto are ligther. What about wear and mileage? Performance, i assume it will be ok, since the compound are really sticky. Looking into Continental super moto tire. Looking for performance, look and mileage. Maybe i am asking too much. Sizes? i have been runing stock size in the front and 160-60-17 in the rear, i am planning stick to that

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honestly..... There is direct link between "sticky" and "longevity". Unfortunately, you most likely won't be able to have both... I had a long history of supermoto before I discovered the joys of the R3. I wouldn't recommend ANYTHING wider than a 150 on an R3. If you go much wider, you will lose "contact patch" and most likely lose traction in a corner. If you put a 160 on the rear, you will increase the "radius" of the contact patch with the road/track surface, and actually LOSE traction. Everyone likes a big/fat rear tire... I looks cool :cool: and all, but you may actually be hurting your tire performance. You may also lose a small amount of HP, as it takes more HP to turn the extra weight of a wider/heavier tire (unsprung weight + rotating mass). Most SM tires are pretty "soft", as well as expensive- and most likely won't last nearly as long as a proper tire for the the R3. My best advise is do NOT use a SM tire on the R3.... I don't want to sound like an a$$, I just want to answer your question. I hope that helps you out (y)-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure it help, thanks for the advice, especially because I would like to reduce unsprung weight too; but that’s is another matter. Definitely I’ll stick to other tires, is a lot of good choices

1 - 3 of 3 Posts