Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has about 900 miles on it and I have a annoying surge and flat spot at 5,000 to 5,500 . It pulls fine below or above that, but does not like that rpm range. Anybody have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
I think several people have commented on a dip around that range, including myself. Maybe PCV eases it, not sure if I can run PCV with stock cat + slip-on though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think several people have commented on a dip around that range, including myself. Maybe PCV eases it, not sure if I can run PCV with stock cat + slip-on though.
Sure you can.

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've noticed it on this bike, and my fz8 also had a noticeable dip in a similar range. I had a pcv on that bike and was able to easily smooth things out by adding a bit more fuel in that range.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pretty sure it's an EPA thing. A lot of bikes are like that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats just the way the engine is.

Youll find that without comprehensive tuning you wont get rid of that 5k rpm flat spot. Even with full exhaust systems like the Akrapovic the flat spot is still there. Just avoid it, its not hard to keep the revs well above 5k rpm during spirited riding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The R6 throttle tubes does a pretty good job of eliminating the 5k flat spot.
A very little tweak of the throttle and you're through it and on your way.
Well thats not entirely true, the throttle tube will just give you a shorter throttle twist in terms of angular rotation. Its basically the same as opening up the stock throttle but you just have to twist it more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts