Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R3, 1972 CB175, 1974 M-B 450SLC, 1991 M-B 190e 2.6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Probably been covered already though I haven't had any luck finding the answer, but I was wondering if there's any appreciable difference between the forks on first and second gen R3's? The reason I ask is when looking at upgrade components I see many parts listed for 2015-18 but with 2019+ or 2015-2022 conspicuously absent. I was under the impression the forks are the same but the triple tree and clip on arrangement was different, but now I am uncertain.

Additionally, when looking into the ninja 650r shock upgrade I commonly see people saying to drop the forks in the trees to raise the front of the bike to match the height gained in the rear from the longer shock. On a gen 1 this makes sense since the clip ons are mounted above the top tree. Move the clip ons below, drop the forks and voila your front and rear ride heights are matched. I don't see any (relatively) reasonable way to accomplish this on a 2019+ I could always pull the top tree and grind the bottom where it interfaces with the headset locking rings, but I don't want to go to all that if there's a more sensible method I'm not seeing, and also I dont see being able to gain ~an inch of extra clearance, even with some quality time on the belt sander.

So that said, whats the deal? Can I get some intiminators and slap them in my 2021 even though the website says fitment is only good for years 15-18?

Unrelated, but I got my R3 about a week ago and what a hoot it is. Got about 15lbs off the bike so far and addressed a multitude of setup and adjustment issues the PO somehow didnt notice or care to fix (shift linkage falling off the shift shaft, a mile of throttle slack, a rear brake that wouldn't engage due to horrible adjustment, tires at 25psi, etc etc homie was a goober and worked at a yamaha dealership 😂). Don't even get me started on the furry/puppy kink stickers that came on the bike, first thing to go, couldn't park anywhere lmfao. The bike did thankfully come with Norton rearset relocation plates (amongst other goodies) and I dropped the clip ons about 20mm and holy **** what a dramatic difference from the stock setup I test rode before I got this one. Waaaayyy more athletic and really helpful ergonomically for my 6' frame(with freakishly long torso) Can't wait to do a proper exhaust, v-stack/airbox and tune so this will pull all the way to 13k. Even as it is now, really fun and reinforces my love for small displacement (have a 72 cb175 as well)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

I've since painted the rearsets black to match the plates (pesky rust -__-), ditched the stock mirrors for bar ends (and gave her a proper bath) Fender elim, halo turns and tst integrated taillight to come soon, probably ditch the frame sliders too, but retain the case protectors, but what I'm really excited for is some fresh tires. I really liked my pilot power 2ct's when I was riding sportbikes about a decade ago, is there a compelling newer option I should consider switching to instead?

Sorry for the meandering post but figured I should introduce myself, especially if my first question is beating a dead horse.

-FreakshowFPV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the fork information and I've seen the f9 video, thank you.

A full cartridge swap is probably pretty far outside the scope of my plans for this bike. I've already ordered some preload adjusters and 15w maxima fork oil, I'll see how far that gets me.

Edit: annnnddddd the adjusters i ordered aren't gonna fit 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up throwing a stack of three washers in the forks for about 7.5mm of preload and it's like a different motorcycle. Might be a touch stiff, thinking about dropping a washer for 5mm and then trying the 15w. Overall a really small change made a very noticeable difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts