Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues with suspension setup. I'm getting alot of feel through the bars and off the rear. Every crease in the road makes the bike get squirrley. I have factory tires now but not for long. I have tried adjusting the rear shock from top to bottom and get the same results. Are the Michelin pro streets that bad or is there other issues?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be getting new battlax s21's soon. I'm going up to a 150 rear. Ive been looking at either ohlins or this yyc shock. Im trying to keep this a cheap build bike. but shocks, tires and exhaust have exceeded the price of the bike

·
Registered
542 Posts
With labor, I can see the costs running pretty close on a used stock bike. 1000 for forks, 700 on a rear shock, 700 for exhaust, 300 for tires. Add at least a grand for labor all in on that.

To OP, new tires will help a good bit, but the rear suspension is still a pretty big weak link on the bike. I had a night and day difference when I switched to an ohlins read, even while keeping the stock Michelins until they were done. When I switched to metzlers, there was even more improvement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kojiiro
only paid $2k for my bike. Previous owner tried to spray paint it. Also hacked the exhaust and it was missing turnsignals and tail light

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I think im going for a larger tire in the rear. anyone have success with a 150 or 160 rear?
Quite a few have posted succes with a 150/160 tire. I am not sure how much digging for information you want to do, but within these forums there are a few reviews. Yamahar3racing.com also has write ups on going with bigger tires.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
With labor, I can see the costs running pretty close on a used stock bike. 1000 for forks, 700 on a rear shock, 700 for exhaust, 300 for tires. Add at least a grand for labor all in on that.

To OP, new tires will help a good bit, but the rear suspension is still a pretty big weak link on the bike. I had a night and day difference when I switched to an ohlins read, even while keeping the stock Michelins until they were done. When I switched to metzlers, there was even more improvement.
I wouldn't spend a grand to have tires, a rear shock and fork internals installed. That's an insane amount for labor. Rear shock will take about 30 minutes to an hour of your time. Exhaust can be done in about an hour, even less if it's a slip on obviously. The forks, if ohlins, will take 2-3 hours if you have ever pulled forks and reinstalled, maybe 3-5 if you have never done it. The only thing I would spend money on in that list to have installed is the front tire, because installing a 110 tire absolutely sucks.

You don't need to have any special skills doing the above. If someone has the money to have a shop install, cool, I just think that would be very expensive labor for some basic installs. Most of the installs the average motorcyclist does are pretty basic and easy, it's not like we are breaking down engines or anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts