Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Swingarm pivot lubrication

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BluebirdR3 
#1 ·
Hi team,

I've pulled the rubber grommets off to inspect the swing-arm pivots on my bike and can see there is some surface rust on the frame which needs addressing - although the visible part of the pivot looks to be fine. I take it my dealer hasn't been lubing this area which is why they are like this.

The manual says that the dealer should be lubing these with Lithium-soap-based grease which I have in a spray can.

Question - I don't really want to take this apart to lube at this stage. Would it hurt to spray in some lithium grease that I have in a can? If you look at the close up photo you can see there is no lithium grease visible as lithium grease is usually quite white which makes me think the factory grease or whatever the dealer has used is not lithium base grease? Or whatever was there has since dissappeared?

Or.. is the lithium grease supposed to be applied to the swing-arm pivot assembly once removed from the bike?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.