Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had a little get off earlier tonight and I have some questions about damage to my swingarm. First off, thankfully I am ok. Some rash on my hand and a ruined glove.

The damage: the swingarm has a dent where the spool bent up and made contact with it. I bent the spool back with minimal effort. Also, it looks like there is a crack in the swing arm lengthwise around the spool mount. I lowsided at a track day last year and bent the spool mount and this get off put more strain on everything.

My question is, is it safe? I don't really care how it looks cosmetically. I have been toying with the idea of getting a dedicated track bike and was rolling around the idea of filing an insurance claim and selling it for a track bike to get off the street. Ideally, I'd like to do nothing if this is not a safety issue.

Thoughts on what my options are?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yeah, we need to see some close-up pics.
That link didn't work for me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
same thing happened on my bike after lowsiding as well, when the bike is up on the rear stand I notice it is slightly crooked, no issues but its just in the back of my head bugging me, Iv also thought about a replacement swing arm only if it ends up snapping off in another lowside or maybe getting it welded

·
Registered
101 Posts
It seems to have some damage in swingarm structure, and maybe it can cause a disalignment to the rear wheel due the proximity to the wheel axel.
For safatey, I would replace it.

Hapy for you didn't have any major injurie friend!

Cheers from Brazil

·
Registered
116 Posts
does that crack go through all the way even if it's just a portion of it? if it does replace it ASAP!..... if it's just on the surface then the decision will be harder to make based on budget etc.

Carefully inspect the arm, ride around an empty parking lot etc at low speeds, purposely go through or create your own bumps, uneven surfaces for a few days in a row and recheck and see if it still looks EXACTLY the same or worse.

If the metal intergrity was compromised you should notice it.

This is one advantage of having conventional over single swing arm bikes. If this was a ducati etc, I would've advice changing the swing arm out no matter what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts