Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am newbie recently just bought a used MT-03 2017
About the bike, it was good condition with low odometer when i bought ( about 3800 km ),
But about 1 month, my bike tachometer does not work anymore,
I have dought about wheel sensor front and rear but the ABS in both wheel work fine,
I bought to Dealer for diagnosis scan and they found there is no error code at all,
i also ask them to check the wiring and ECU and they work fine,
i quite lack of service manual for MT-03 so i current use the '20s R3-ABS version wiring diagram to refer,
and as i can see the flow like this for speed indicator: Speed ->front-rear wheel sensor->ECU->ABS ECU-> clock
Guys, can you give me and advise what possible malfultion? i am quite obstruct to think that i need to replace the Hydraulic Control of ABS ( about 500$ in my place ) to get the tachometer work.
Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Did the dealer test the dash board assembly?

If the dealer has another R3 or MT-03 moto, he could swap out the unit to determine if yours is defective? My unit failed on a Kawasaki Versys so I purchased a used one on Ebay USA and had it imported to my country.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that the speed displayed in the instruments on this bike is from the transmission output shaft speed sensor (so that the instruments and wiring are the same regardless of whether the bike has ABS or not). This is NOT the same sensor as the wheel speed sensors.

My factory service manual is for the non-ABS model. In the wiring diagram in the back of the factory service manual, it's item 29. The diagnostic procedure is on page 8-26, and the checking procedure for that sensor is on page 8.95.

The first thing to do is obviously to check that it is plugged in. It's on the top of the crankcase on the back of the engine, and yes, it is a pain to get access to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, the dealer replace an in-use instrument of the R3 '16 and they still not work

they also check by diagnostic software and it still work fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that the speed displayed in the instruments on this bike is from the transmission output shaft speed sensor (so that the instruments and wiring are the same regardless of whether the bike has ABS or not). This is NOT the same sensor as the wheel speed sensors.

My factory service manual is for the non-ABS model. In the wiring diagram in the back of the factory service manual, it's item 29. The diagnostic procedure is on page 8-26, and the checking procedure for that sensor is on page 8.95.

The first thing to do is obviously to check that it is plugged in. It's on the top of the crankcase on the back of the engine, and yes, it is a pain to get access to.
As my wiring diagram of R3 '19 ABS model, they nolonger use the speed sensor on transmission output :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Right but that's the 2019 model, which was a redesign. The original bike that you are talking about is a 2017 model. I don't know if your 2017 MT03 uses the original sensor (transmission output shaft) or the ABS system to operate the speedometer.

That you are not getting ABS fault codes is indicative that the ABS, including the wheel speed sensors, work.
That the ABS actually works, is indicative that the ABS, including the wheel speed sensors, work.
That the speedometer doesn't work, is indicative that the speedometer is not getting its signal from the (known working) wheel speed sensors and is in fact getting it from something else that doesn't work, like the transmission output shaft.

Do the diagnostic procedure for the transmission output shaft speed sensor.

First make sure that (a) it exists, and (b) that if it exists, it's plugged in. If it exists and it's plugged in, do the system checks described in the shop manual for a PRE 2019 model.

Not everything can be diagnosed by plugging in a diagnostic computer. Sometimes you have to use your eyes, ears, and hands, and actually check things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right but that's the 2019 model, which was a redesign. The original bike that you are talking about is a 2017 model. I don't know if your 2017 MT03 uses the original sensor (transmission output shaft) or the ABS system to operate the speedometer.

That you are not getting ABS fault codes is indicative that the ABS, including the wheel speed sensors, work.
That the ABS actually works, is indicative that the ABS, including the wheel speed sensors, work.
That the speedometer doesn't work, is indicative that the speedometer is not getting its signal from the (known working) wheel speed sensors and is in fact getting it from something else that doesn't work, like the transmission output shaft.

Do the diagnostic procedure for the transmission output shaft speed sensor.

First make sure that (a) it exists, and (b) that if it exists, it's plugged in. If it exists and it's plugged in, do the system checks described in the shop manual for a PRE 2019 model.

Not everything can be diagnosed by plugging in a diagnostic computer. Sometimes you have to use your eyes, ears, and hands, and actually check things.
In my MT-03, as i have checked to the speed sensor possition ( as the R3 '16 instruction ) and they doesn't have that speed sensor couple on the right side engine-above the clutch case,
but your logic flow is correct, i not only check by diagnostic but also check the voltage of sensor front and rear, the instrumental is fine, the wiring from sensor to ECU and the ECU to ABS ECU and ABS ECU to instrumental is clearly continuity.
I am suspecting that the problem inside ABS ECU, they do function fine about ABS function but seem like the speed signal they not delivered to instrumental,
Im not sure about that cause ECU is something really hard to remove especially the ABS ECU, and it was sealed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I cannot make out the item numbers on your wiring diagram on my screen. I'm going to take a guess at something ...

Signal communication between the ECU and the instrument cluster is via local area network. On my wiring diagram, the communication wire is a yellow wire with a double light-blue stripe, and it passes from the ECU through the diagnostic coupler to the meter assembly. All signal communication from the ECU to the instrument cluster happens through that single wire. In your case ... there is a good chance that this same communication wire connects to your ABS ECU.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had to get in on this discussion.

To expand the image, right-click (or long-press) and select "View Image", then zoom in from when the image is loaded in a new tab.

To expand the image, right-click (or long-press) and select "View Image", then zoom in from when the image is loaded in a new tab.

Issuu - online PDF publications
2015-2018 YZF-R3 Repair Manual pt1
2015-2018 YZF-R3 Repair Manual pt2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cannot make out the item numbers on your wiring diagram on my screen. I'm going to take a guess at something ...

Signal communication between the ECU and the instrument cluster is via local area network. On my wiring diagram, the communication wire is a yellow wire with a double light-blue stripe, and it passes from the ECU through the diagnostic coupler to the meter assembly. All signal communication from the ECU to the instrument cluster happens through that single wire. In your case ... there is a good chance that this same communication wire connects to your ABS ECU.
i refer this service manual for '19 R3 from our forum:
the Signaling System diagram is in page 8-27, would you mind to take a look?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since you got a 2017 MT-03 ABS, you may benefit from reading the 2017-2018 YZF320-A Service Manual for help.

Test

See the section "2017-2018 YZF-R3 ABS" on the 2015-2018 2017-2018 & 2019-2020/2021 YZF-R3 & YZF320-A Service Manual Links (January 2021) thread to get the manual.

Here are diagrams from 2017-2018 YZF-R3 ABS Service Manual

Evidence that the Tach is Tied to Ignition Circuit, Not the Speed Sensor, as @GoFaster was suggesting.
My understanding of how the R3 (and most sport bike speedos) work is that it derives the speed reading from the number of rotations of the countershaft and it gets RPM readings from the ignition circuit. The speedo and tach are not tied together. I know this as I blew my ABS fuse which killed the speedo reading but my tach was still displaying normally.
So I took a look through the circuit diagram, tach reading is definitely pulled from the ignition circuit and then fed directly to the meter and then to the ECU. This is handled the same way as the 2015-2018 R3 and it seems a lot of the information displayed is being handled by a proprietary chip found in the dash itself...
That "proprietary chip" could be what @GoFaster is referring to as the CAN Bus perhaps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for providing me the manual for ABS R3 '17, i find it quite hard to find this version.
About checking fuse, i do have check them properly before check wiring continuity, and all of them is working fine ( cause if the fuse of signal system is blowed, i pretty sure the instrumental will not appear the fuel lever and timing too )
As i refer the service manual and check myself, I really dont see any speedsensor near front spocket ( refer as service manual in page 2.19 and 2.23 )

·
Registered
243 Posts
I mis-read the original post (thanks for someone who tipped me off). Now ... Answer me this.

You said ... in post #1 ... that the odometer doesn't work, and the tachometer (which I mis-read as speedometer, since that instrument uses the same signal to operate it) doesn't work. It is not logical at all that the speedometer and odometer would independently fail.

SO ... Answer these questions yes or no.
Question 1: Does your odometer work (display and count properly, both trip-meter and total mileage), or not?
Question 2: Does your speedometer work (display and count properly), or not?
Question 3: Does your tachometer (needle operates properly and displays a plausible reading if the engine is running), or not?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I should add that ALL of the raw information for the tach, and the speedo, and the odo, and a whole bunch of other stuff as well, comes into the meter unit over that single canbus communication wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mis-read the original post (thanks for someone who tipped me off). Now ... Answer me this.

You said ... in post #1 ... that the odometer doesn't work, and the tachometer (which I mis-read as speedometer, since that instrument uses the same signal to operate it) doesn't work. It is not logical at all that the speedometer and odometer would independently fail.

SO ... Answer these questions yes or no.
Question 1: Does your odometer work (display and count properly, both trip-meter and total mileage), or not?
Question 2: Does your speedometer work (display and count properly), or not?
Question 3: Does your tachometer (needle operates properly and displays a plausible reading if the engine is running), or not?
Thank you for kindly respond,
I would like to answer your question:
Question 1: the odometer doesnt work at all, and also the trip 1, trip 2 meter and the average fuel comp is 99.9km/l
Question 2: The speedometer isnt work to no matter slow or fast, it stay in 0 km/h.
Question 3: the tachometer ( which i mis-understanding due to using google translate to my language it mean the same as speedometer, so sorry for make you guys confuse ) still operate well and correct.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts