Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've built a race bike from my 2019 R3, and am in the process of installing a custom tachometer/shift light kit (available through Chippernut).

I've bench tested the tachometer with another Arduino, and verified it cycles through and functions properly, and now on to my question:

I'm familiar with basic wiring diagrams, but looking to this modern diagram confuses me as each wire in the connector isn't labeled with function, only color.
I'm trying to tap into the tachometer signal from the dashboard to run my shift light. So I pulled the connector into the dash, and with the bike idling I've tried plugging the RPM signal wire from the Arduino into each of the connector wires, but only get a partial signal and then it just stops. I'm assuming the single black wire is ground.

Can anyone help explain what wires I need from the dash plug to get the full signal? Or maybe a better way to get the signal?
I looked at the ECU plug as well, but it's not as easy to tap into.
I'd like to be certain what wires might need splicing before I go hacking away at the harness.

Diagram for reference, pic for attention

Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

Thank you!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't believe there is a tach signal to the dash per se. The ECU talks to the multi meters, which display what they are told. You should be able to pull a signal from the crank position sensor, #9 that can be reached through the hour meter connector to the yellow/blue wire in the original instrumentation connector, or through the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool Coupler connector under the seat, which has the same yellow/blue lead in the connector (3 pins Sumitomo). Problem is, this is a low level signal, so if the tach is not designed to read a k-bus signal, which the stock instrument is, it won't work. Might be better to connect the tach signal wire to one of the coils?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts