Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I become more comfortable as a motorcycle rider and owner. I am discovering my state (Virginia) has baffled me somewhat.

I have plans for some basic modifications; fender eliminator w/integrated tail light, flush mounts, maybe HIDs. (One big mod, being under-tail dual exhaust). VA states a motorcycle is not required to have "turn signals" cool. In the same paragraph, if motorcycle does have turn signal they "Must Work" (well of course). ***The signals must be at least 9-inches apart, measured from center.*** Which totally burns my 'integrated tail light', come inspection time.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-360

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about that...just so I'm CLEAR. the fender eliminator that use the OEM lights only move the rear turn signals under the rear seat.? The distance between the turn signals remain the same?

Man, I hope so...

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I was thinking about that...just so I'm CLEAR. the fender eliminator that use the OEM lights only move the rear turn signals under the rear seat.? The distance between the turn signals remain the same?

Man, I hope so...
As far as the Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator goes, the width of it where the signals mount is the same as the width of the stock fender where the signals mount. They're both 5" (125mm) wide.

So you'd be fine with the Vagabond when using the stock signals as long as you don't remove the rubber spacer section of the stock signals.

On the stock fender the inner part of the signals are 8" apart and the centers of the signals are 11.5" apart. The Yamaha LEDs I put on the rear of my R3 are 7" apart for the inner part and 9" center to center.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
117 Posts
As I become more comfortable as a motorcycle rider and owner. I am discovering my state (Virginia) has baffled me somewhat.

I have plans for some basic modifications; fender eliminator w/integrated tail light, flush mounts, maybe HIDs. (One big mod, being under-tail dual exhaust). VA states a motorcycle is not required to have "turn signals" cool. In the same paragraph, if motorcycle does have turn signal they "Must Work" (well of course). ***The signals must be at least 9-inches apart, measured from center.*** Which totally burns my 'integrated tail light', come inspection time.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-360

be careful about the 3 rear reflectors too. When you go to a fender eliminator you'll often loose the rear reflectors....which technically needs to be on the bike in most States.

There are some nifty ways to get around this, like license plate reflectors, tape, home-made solutions using angled brackets, etc...

GL and ride safe

·
Registered
761 Posts
Vegabond Modifications

I installed the Vegabond per instructions (spacers removed) and the spacing meets the 9" Turn Signal minimum "center to center" in Virginia (using the OEM turns). I also added the three OEM reflectors using the leftover components from the removed fender. Instructions here.

This should satisfy all aspects of the Virginia inspection. I have a Honda Grom as well without the side reflectors and my center to center on the rear turns are only 6.5". They are DOT approved aftermarket so very bright. I have never been hassled by inspectors or the police.

Photo of Groms rear:

Where I have seen people getting tickets here in VA are the folks who mount their plates forward of the rear axle down low like this (not my bike) and not well visible.

My personal opinion on the integrated turn signals... Not good. I want drivers to see my intentions. I see folks on sport bikes all the time and have to look hard to see the little flashes of the integrated turn signals. That's a good way to get rammed in the back. That's why I kept the OEM lights and added the brake light flasher (how to here).

Good luck neighbor!

Ride Safe...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CapnKirk, thanks for beaming the GOOD INTEL my way. I think, I will slow-down of the integrated tail-light...you made a great point.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Great example of what should be done out of safety, guys want a cleaner looking rear end and we all understand that but it of course shouldn't come at the cost of safety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts