Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my battery is about a year and a half old now with 6,000 miles. I live in So-Cal so there are really no "cold starts" here. But sometimes it would take my bike a second or two to crank over when I am starting for the first time during the day/week. This is not my concern. My concern is when I stall the bike. On my Ninja when I would stall I would just pull in the clutch in 1st and then it would immediately crank over. On the R3 it would crank for up to about 3 seconds before it would start again. This is extremely nerve racking since I do not want to get run over by the guy behind me expecting me to go for the green light. I do not stall too often but the few times I have this has occurred. My friends Honda with a new Autozone battery starts right up with no hesitation.

Yeah yeah, just don't stall problem solved, however, it happens sometimes.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their bike taking a bit long to crank over during the first start of the day or after stalling

·
Registered
196 Posts
This has been one of the quirks with the R3. It can take a few tries to get restarted. But the 1st start when cold should have no problem.

Spark plugs due at 7,000 miles, possibly consider that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A "cold start" is when the engine has not been running. Its got nothing to do with ambient air temperature.

3 seconds probably seems a bit much, but sometimes on hot starts it can take a little while to restart.

Be sure to check your plugs, but I doubt the battery is the issue if your starter is turning the crank with no problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
I adjusted the idle screw until 1800 rpm to get rid of the random stalls at stop lights. Yeah, R3 doesn't like to fire right up after dying. Whatever causes the stall is causing the hard start also, most likely. Removing air pump and charcoal canister won't help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts