Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a question but kind of just curious to see what everyone does.

Taking off from a stop, on flat ground, what are your RPMs right when you hit the point where you start to go (cant think of better wording to describe the point I'm talking about so anyone who has a better wording feel free to throw it in there for me haha) Just curious to see what everyone does, because usually Im not looking down at the tach, and start off slower than I want too and sometimes faster than normal.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I do it about like this...I pretend that the R3 has launch control

·
Registered
37 Posts
I checked my gopro footage and its about 5,000-6,000 rpm for a normal (lazy) take off.

10,000 rpm if I'm trying to launch and beat something off the line (while feathering clutch so the front doesn't come up too much).

I think the speed of you releasing the clutch is the most important factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're not trying to speed away, you can move the motorcycle around 500~1000 RPM by just releasing the clutch slowly (Without throttle) and not letting go of it completely. If I'm trying to get away from someone trying to kill me then I let the clutch out around 3k rpm(Haven't tried to go any higher yet since i'm still breaking in) then open the throttle up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No clue, its all from sound or feel for me. I barely look at the gauge. Even for speed. The rare time I look at my gauge is when a cop is nearby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're not trying to speed away, you can move the motorcycle around 500~1000 RPM by just releasing the clutch slowly (Without throttle) and not letting go of it completely. If I'm trying to get away from someone trying to kill me then I let the clutch out around 3k rpm(Haven't tried to go any higher yet since i'm still breaking in) then open the throttle up.
This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. Still breaking in but don't think I've ever exceeded 3k. I am a little slow off the line as still getting the feel for the bike too though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If sometimes you're starting too slow, and other times too fast or having to really get the RPM's up there (without racing from a light) then you need to work on clutch control.

I can crawl from a stop without using any throttle and I can launch the **** out of it, all depends on how good your finesse is with the clutch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
^This. It's just like driving a car.

On a flat surface, I can crawl the bike forth with no throttle if I want to. I can start off in 2nd gear if I want to (with throttle, of course).

It's mostly by necessity and feel. But to answer your question, I did look down the last couple times I rode. Usually I start off around 3k under normal traffic circumstances and a flat surface. More for quicker start-off or uphill.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^This. It's just like driving a car.

On a flat surface, I can crawl the bike forth with no throttle if I want to. I can start off in 2nd gear if I want to (with throttle, of course).

It's mostly by necessity and feel. But to answer your question, I did look down the last couple times I rode. Usually I start off around 3k under normal traffic circumstances and a flat surface. More for quicker start-off or uphill.
I once started a new Z125 in 3rd gear by accident, so then naturally I had to try 4th gear too. I did it on the first try, but I'm pretty sure the clutch hated it lol...it was very slow going lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I once started a new Z125 in 3rd gear by accident, so then naturally I had to try 4th gear too. I did it on the first try, but I'm pretty sure the clutch hated it lol...it was very slow going lol
The R3 being my only bike, I always have to adjust when I ride bigger bikes with their taller gearing. It's not so much an issue with sport bikes, but some of the touring oriented bikes have tall 1st gears and long clutch travel. My few days in Italy were trying my patience..... I'd have to slip the clutch so much more and oh my god my left hand in rush hour traffic .....!§$%

R3 is easy. Friction point is fair far out on the lever travel. 2 fingers only.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The R3 being my only bike, I always have to adjust when I ride bigger bikes with their taller gearing. It's not so much an issue with sport bikes, but some of the touring oriented bikes have tall 1st gears and long clutch travel. My few days in Italy were trying my patience..... I'd have to slip the clutch so much more and oh my god my left hand in rush hour traffic .....!§$%

R3 is easy. Friction point is fair far out on the lever travel. 2 fingers only.
The Z125 is a little bike though...8 hp only! lol

Friction point is technically wherever you want it to be. Clutch cables are adjustable. I like mine to be pretty much right in the middle of the travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts