Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank grips....who has them...are they worth it? I have a set from TechSpec not sure if I want to apply them.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the other ones and they help with keeping body position stable, especially on downhill corners.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Be sure to clean the surface area really well with alcohol prior to install and it helps to have a heat gun or hair dryer handy to help form the grip contour to the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be sure to clean the surface area really well with alcohol prior to install and it helps to have a heat gun or hair dryer handy to help form the grip contour to the tank.
I actually would advise against alcohol on the plastic fairing. It ate away the coating and made it matte. That's what happened when I tested it on a busted tank fairing I had.

It wouldn't adhere well on mine at first, but after leaving it in the sun for a while and riding it, it seems to have stayed on now. Heat seems to be very important.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I actually would advise against alcohol on the plastic fairing. It ate away the coating and made it matte. That's what happened when I tested it on a busted tank fairing I had.

It wouldn't adhere well on mine at first, but after leaving it in the sun for a while and riding it, it seems to have stayed on now. Heat seems to be very important.

Interesting, can't confirm that on mine since my tank grips are still installed but the surrounding areas which I'm sure I hit as well are still smooth and glossy. What were the conditions of your test? Also were they the factory fairing or race fairing?

·
Registered
329 Posts
whats the "other ones" if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Used 71% isopropyl alcohol on a stock tank fairing. Matting was almost immediate.

Stomp grips. Couldn't remember name when I first posted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
whats the "other ones" if you don't mind me asking?
Stompgrips. I have had them on several bikes.

https://www.stompgrip.com/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stompgrips. I have had them on several bikes.

https://www.stompgrip.com/
Ditto on StompGrip. They make a set that fits the R3 perfectly. My girlfriend's bike ('15 Honda CB300F) doesn't have them and when I ride her bike from time to time, not having them drives me nuts. Looking to get her a set soon. I can't imagine riding the R3 without them at this point.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Never owned either the techspec or stompgrip grips, but have heard good things from both companies. Nothing against stomp grip but sorta leaning toward the techspec grips just cuz the stomp grip ones kinda look a little "tacky" to me or like one of those grips from a hotel shower room floor. The tech specs have a more muted appearance but hey at the end of the day you do you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The stompgrips also come in clear. They blend in pretty seamlessly as long as you take care to not get bubbles under the pad when applying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts