Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have refilled gas twice, as soon as it goes into the fuel reserve i go to a gas station. The owners manual says 14L, but both times i've only filled 10L, is this normal? And now its making wonder how much liters the reserve has, as it says 3L, but maybe its less?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The total tank capacity is 14 litres in main, and 3 litres in reserve.

I'm not sure why the tank would read empty if there is still 3 litres in there..

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's the correct spelling of liter for most of the world!
The litre (International spelling) or liter (American spelling) (SI symbols L or l, commonly, but incorrectly, abbreviated as ltr) is an SI accepted metric system unit of volume equal to 1 cubic decimetre (dm3).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one says 14L + 3L, others say 10L + 4L. Can anyone confirm that has actually refilled their tanks, how much do you refill when it hits reserve and you go to the gas station

·
Registered
105 Posts
one says 14L + 3L, others say 10L + 4L. Can anyone confirm that has actually refilled their tanks, how much do you refill when it hits reserve and you go to the gas station
quite certain it's the latter. i can only refill 10L every time my fuel meter starts to blink

·
Registered
542 Posts
14l total, 3 of which are considered the reserve. The "main" is 11. In other words, when the fuel gauge is blinking, you should have 3l left (assuming it's accurate)

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
The most Ive ever been able to squeeze in is 11.2L and that was after riding for 20KM after the fuel low indicator came on...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my low fuel indicator flashing this morning and all I was able to fill in was 2.4 gallons (9 L). Not sure how long I was riding on low fuel, but I don’t remember ever being able to add more than 2.5 gallons to the tank.
So, how far you should be able to ride with the low fuel indicator flashing?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had my low fuel indicator flashing this morning and all I was able to fill in was 2.4 gallons (9 L). Not sure how long I was riding on low fuel, but I don’t remember ever being able to add more than 2.5 gallons to the tank.
So, how far you should be able to ride with the low fuel indicator flashing?
It's a 3.7 Gal tank and the light turns on around 2.2. You should be able to go another 50 or so miles depending on your fuel economy. Anything after 50 you should be clenching cheek for the next gas station since you're not sure if you filled up to maximum capacity or not :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ran my tank dry on purpose a few weeks ago and found out that I can squeeze 14.9 liters (3.936 gals) into the tank when empty.
I ran 101km on low fuel warning before the engine quit, that's about 62.75 miles...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sofa, did you manage this with the bike on the kickstand or holding it centered/leveled?

:D While riding in a foreign country on twisty roads... - but I had a 1.5 liter reserve canister with me...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
:D While riding in a foreign country on twisty roads... - but I had a 1.5 liter reserve canister with me...
I think he was asking if, when doing the fillup, you had the bike on the sidestand (i.e. tilted) or were you holding it "upright".

On some bikes, there is a big difference in those 2 methods, depending on size and shape of the tank.

Jim G

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think he was asking if, when doing the fillup, you had the bike on the sidestand (i.e. tilted) or were you holding it "upright".
Jim G

Thanks, Jim - you are right. I always fill the tank while still sitting on the bike, keeping it upright. Doing so allows for a good extra half liter vs. doing the fillup with the bike on the sidestand, even if you do it patiently drop by drop...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ran my tank dry on purpose a few weeks ago and found out that I can squeeze 14.9 liters (3.936 gals) into the tank when empty.
I ran 101km on low fuel warning before the engine quit, that's about 62.75 miles...
thanks for the info sofa! I really wanted to test that but I don't have a canister, and I don't want to be stranded far from the gas station.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts