Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to riding and the whole forum online community.
I joined in hopes of getting some help with my R3.
The dealership delivered it with a full tank of premium fuel.
I only have 25 miles on the bike, but my tank is half empty!
Could it be the city only driving (in which case my Mustang GT does better) or the fuel not being the regular unleaded the manual recommends?
Or could it be an issue with my bike?
Thanks for your time and I look forward to interacting with you all!

- Martin G

·
Registered
68 Posts
most bike fuel gauges are inaccurate. The tank is designed such that if you put the filler nozzle fully in the tank, it will shut off before the tank is really full. Try filling yourself, and hold the vapor seal back so you can see and fill to bottom of the little plate. Then reset trip odometer, ride a few hundred miles, refill and divide miles driven by gallons required to fill tank to same level.

·
Registered
254 Posts
on my bike level while filling it up when the pump shuts off. I then pull back vapor seal to top it off to the plate and not overfill it due to heat and expansion of fuel. I would think during the break in period it gets not as good miles per gallon as the engine breaks in that increases. I don't know this to be true but seems like Mechanical things need to get moving together and broken in to get smoother. Like a good shotgun or bolt action rifle. I feel personal that at first my bike went through more gas. The engine had that new engine burning smell and sometimes it didn't start as good. I would have to hold the start button longer because I didn't start the first time. All that has gone away along with bad gas milage. And I noticed my average miles per gallon has gone up on my trips. I'm at 823 miles now and the bikes smooth as butter engine wise and gear shifter is too. Today I just passed my CA DMV circus(circles and cone test) it's down the street from my house and been going to practice cones and circles before my bike rides around town. My hands start to cramp up if I spend to much time on it like 10 min and I'm off to the hills. in case I join a circus circles are good. I think the test is weird and after RIDING 823 miles and pulling up to DMV and doing the cone and circles test today. it wasn't to hard and at the same time not really easy takes some skill. People who Didn't Pass complained that the test is not practical. I said you have to practice the coarse over and over. first hand full of times I couldn't do it. I kept going back and practicing. or you go to a certified Motorcycle program to learn more before getting there lic. My self would like to take the class just to learn more. You really don't learn anything about riding in the real world going around cones and circles in a parking lot. sorry got off track there but I'm so excited to have my lic now.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Was it full when it left the dealer? (I wouldn't assume it was). At 25 miles, I'd give it at least a tankful to loosen it up a bit - mileage should improve.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Was it full when it left the dealer? (I wouldn't assume it was). At 25 miles, I'd give it at least a tankful to loosen it up a bit - mileage should improve.
That is what I was going to ask. My bike was almost empty when I got it from the dealer, lol. I'm guessing it didn't have a full tank when he rode it off the lot.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
on my bike level while filling it up when the pump shuts off. I then pull back vapor seal to top it off to the plate and not overfill it due to heat and expansion of fuel. I would think during the break in period it gets not as good miles per gallon as the engine breaks in that increases. I don't know this to be true but seems like Mechanical things need to get moving together and broken in to get smoother. Like a good shotgun or bolt action rifle. I feel personal that at first my bike went through more gas. The engine had that new engine burning smell and sometimes it didn't start as good. I would have to hold the start button longer because I didn't start the first time. All that has gone away along with bad gas milage. And I noticed my average miles per gallon has gone up on my trips. I'm at 823 miles now and the bikes smooth as butter engine wise and gear shifter is too. Today I just passed my CA DMV circus(circles and cone test) it's down the street from my house and been going to practice cones and circles before my bike rides around town. My hands start to cramp up if I spend to much time on it like 10 min and I'm off to the hills. in case I join a circus circles are good. I think the test is weird and after driving 823 miles and pulling up to DMV and doing the cone and circles test today. it wasn't to hard and at the same time not really easy takes some skill. People who Didn't Pass complained that the test is not practical. I said you have to practice the coarse over and over. first hand full of times I couldn't do it. I kept going back and practicing. or you go to a certified Motorcycle program to learn more before getting there lic. My self would like to take the class just to learn more. You really don't learn anything about driving in the real world going around cones and circles in a parking lot. sorry got off track there but I'm so excited to have my lic now.
It's riding. Not driving. You drive a car and ride a bike lol. But yeah I agree the DMV road test is dumb. I did it even after taking the BRC. California won't recognize a BRC taken out of state and I did mine when I was still stationed overseas. I used to go to the DMV to practice and was like " this is impossible" the first few times. I passed on the actual but I sill think it's stupid. They fail you putting your foot down, make you do two circles, barely pass 25 mph and a bunch of other stuff that I don't think actually gets anyone ready for the street.

As far as break in, the motors are already ran at the factory before shipping to dealerships, so I don't really think break in period is a real thing. I think it's more for the new owner to get used to the bikes characteristics and limits the owner to certain rpms and speed over time so you aren't wfo from day one. I know I certainly did not follow the manuals recommended break in for any of my new bikes.

Back on topic, I don't think the dealership actually filled all the way to the top. At any rate, that doesn't really matter and the best thing to do is fill up, visually verify that it's full, and manually track your fuel economy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Edited my Post. Riding it shall be. Thank You. It was nice riding on the freeway today with my New Lic for the bike, a little windy out today. Got it wright this time lol. Right.

Every One Be safe out there and Enjoy your freedom on the R3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got to make sure you fill it to the bottom of the plate. The lower milage I have been able to get is around 48. That's on a short commute to work and back. Where it will spend the same amount idling as moving.

As far as dmv. The test is designed to make sure you have control over the bike in let's say slow traffic. Or a parking lot where if you panic you can hit some one. The test is not hard at all. I really don't get why people find it hard. I can do it all day long back to back. It just about having good control and understanding of the bikes brake, clutch and throttle. A little trick is dragging the rear brake. It will help stable the bike. Try it. It will make it so easy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Edited my Post. Riding it shall be. Thank You. It was nice riding on the freeway today with my New Lic for the bike, a little windy out today. Got it wright this time lol. Right.

Every One Be safe out there and Enjoy your freedom on the R3.
San Diego has been windier than usual the last few days. Same up there in LA?

I am light and so is the bike, high crosswinds on a bridge gets pretty interesting on my morning ride to work lol.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Got to make sure you fill it to the bottom of the plate. The lower milage I have been able to get is around 48. That's on a short commute to work and back. Where it will spend the same amount idling as moving.

As far as dmv. The test is designed to make sure you have control over the bike in let's say slow traffic. Or a parking lot where if you panic you can hit some one. The test is not hard at all. I really don't get why people find it hard. I can do it all day long back to back. It just about having good control and understanding of the bikes brake, clutch and throttle. A little trick is dragging the rear brake. It will help stable the bike. Try it. It will make it so easy.
I can do it all day now. When I first started riding probably not. Other than that I honestly do not see the relevance of literally doing two circles without touching the street with my feet to actual riding. When would you ever do that? Then to add to that, you fail if you put your foot down or if the front tire exits the 18" wide "lane"?

The easiest way to do it is to set yor idle at the lowest with the bike being able to pull with no throttle but won't stall. Then you just putt around at like 5 mph in the circle twice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fuel tank is 14 litres / 3.7gal. When my empty indicator started flashing for the first time I filled up straight as I wasn't sure how much I could get out of it. It took about 9.5 litres / 2.5 gal, which indicates I had another 4.5 litres / 1.19 gal

I'm starting to test how far I can go when empty starts flashing. Based on the average consumption indicator on the bike I should've gotten another 100kms / 62 miles - depending on how I ride. I got 63kms - 39.15mi last time.

My last fuel up was:

MPG: 61.8 / UK MPG: 74.2
L/100km: 3.8 - G/100mi: 1.62
km/L: 26.3
Kilometers: 327.6 - Miles 203.56
Litres: 12.47 - Gallons 3.294

I use fuelly.com and the GasTracker iPhone App to track everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same problem with my dealer not filling the tank. Don't know why they do this? Concerning MPG, I bought my bike solely for enjoyment riding and not commutting. Regardless of the MPG, gas is cheap and so is the happiness you get riding an R3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what I was going to ask. My bike was almost empty when I got it from the dealer, lol. I'm guessing it didn't have a full tank when he rode it off the lot.
They delivered and it was supposedly full.
I added 50 miles yesterday and not a bar on the fuel gage was lost!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts