Yamaha R3 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
M1yeh,

Thank you for those tips,
I plan on printing out a few of these notes from this thread when I take my bike in.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
m1yeh beat me to it and pretty much nailed everything.

I would tell the installer that you want the clamps flush with the tops off the fork tube (not the fork cap, the tube). They will likely try to charge you additional for this, but you have to do it.

I would also expect to have to fine tune the bar position after you get the bike back to get the bars where you want and the clearances right.

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Vortex clip ons for my street R3 (purchasing from your store of course; )

Questions:
Another online store has the clip ons as well but they also gave an option of different sizes in mm. Didn't see a size option except for colors..do you sell R3 specific sizes?

Also, I'm with Dumanji and that I'm having my Yamaha dealership install these and will the Vortex come with detailed info about making sure to have the fork tubes flushed to the clamps?

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and not actually forum savvy so forgive me if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, but I am extremely interested in the woodcraft 41mm Clip-Ons. My question is really if I need to make any sort of hard modification to the triple clamp, or if I only need to worry about moving the current setup to the new bar. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with moving the clamp up or down, but is there going to be part of the fork sticking through the top, from the stock clipons?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and not actually forum savvy so forgive me if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, but I am extremely interested in the woodcraft 41mm Clip-Ons. My question is really if I need to make any sort of hard modification to the triple clamp, or if I only need to worry about moving the current setup to the new bar. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with moving the clamp up or down, but is there going to be part of the fork sticking through the top, from the stock clipons?

Thanks in advance

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've read your entire article and walkthrough install, but the install was for only the vortex clipons. I see that you're going to start writing one for the woodcraft clipons with the 1.5" rise, but if I decide to buy and install before said write up is complete I was just going to see if much modifications had to be done, or if it was "plug & play" per se. I don't mean to be a bother, sorry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just had the Vortex 41mm Clip Ons and thanks to Jesse from Yamaha R3 Racing for the very quick shipment and all his tips on having them installed. He also recommended the R6 throttle tube and it worked like a charm. For the riders that are curious to know how it feels, I have to say that it is AMAZING! Jesse mentioned that the handling wouldn't be that noticeable but I can tell that the bike turns quicker and just responds even better than before. Am I just having a placebo effect?

I'll upload pics tomorrow and talk more about the feel, but it's like getting a sharper edge knife now.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
I've read your entire article and walkthrough install, but the install was for only the vortex clipons. I see that you're going to start writing one for the woodcraft clipons with the 1.5" rise, but if I decide to buy and install before said write up is complete I was just going to see if much modifications had to be done, or if it was "plug & play" per se. I don't mean to be a bother, sorry.
The woodcraft setup is a little farther forward than the Vortex so you will have a little interference with the dash and banjo bolt and the throttle cables against the fairings if you go too low. If you put them higher, there is more room, but you may have to remove the cable guides from the bottom of the top triple clamp. There might be a perfect spot that doesn't require any mods, I can't tell because I already did the mods. I do recommend a steering stop with the Woodcraft so you don't have interference and can drop them lower.

Jesse

·
Registered
424 Posts
A small bolt and a spacer is all that is required to mount the stock bars below the triple for a more sporty position

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely liking the vortex with the lower position and angle.

Reactions: ChadVR46

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone still debating the "clip on scenario" for their bike.
Here we are with Driven Halo clip ons under the triple tree with full race bodywork and Ohlins forks.
This achieves the same down angle and body race position you obtain from R6 R1 type race bikes. Which ultimately translates to excellent bike control while cornering.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use to have an R6 so I am use to something more aggressive. Looking at the stock clip on bars on the R3, they seem like they have a rise to them. Has anyone put clip on bars with no rise on their R3? I think the Sato rear set (up and back) with a lowered bar will give me a better fit and offer the perfect "in between" geometry I'm looking for.

I'm 5'11", 165lbs...

Thoughts?

You do sit more up right then the sportier feeling R6. I took my OEM clip-ons and placed them under the triple tree. As for the rearsets OEM with a rearsets adjustable block to move them back a bit as I too am 5'11"

Looking at Lightech as my next set. http://www.lightechuk.com/lightech-yamaha-yzf-r3-2015-adjustable-rearsets-21189-p.asp

http://www.lightechuk.com/yamaha-yzf-r3-1359-c.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So, for anyone running clip ons and Brembo master cylinder, are you guys running any problems with the rearward angle of the bar? It may not be due to the master cylinder but for sure I have to angle them facing th rear more due to master cylinder clearance issues. It's been somewhat straining my wrists while hanging off, wondering if others have the same problem. My wrists have to twist outwards more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life. For the Woodcraft 1.5" install under triple clamp, did you have to remove the cable guides? Clutch side is tight but fits, but RHS there is no way to get clipon around the fork tube without removing the cable guides. That said, they are there for a reason, so any issues I should be aware of? Also, did throttle cables fit in this setup or do you need an aftermarket assembly and flip cables so they are on top? I looked all over for a DIY and could not find one.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life. For the Woodcraft 1.5" install under triple clamp, did you have to remove the cable guides? Clutch side is tight but fits, but RHS there is no way to get clipon around the fork tube without removing the cable guides. That said, they are there for a reason, so any issues I should be aware of? Also, did throttle cables fit in this setup or do you need an aftermarket assembly and flip cables so they are on top? I looked all over for a DIY and could not find one.

Here are some pics:
I removed both cable guides and had no issues.

The stock throttle cables/rh controls will work.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts