Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interest electric version of an R3. Shares a lot of the same details, save the bodywork (closer to the MT03 actually):

Attended a Zero test ride event yesterday, Rode the SR/S. Interesting and very strong and easy to ride. Not sure I like the missing gear shifting/clutch work, and am struggling with the range limitations and charge times. But, the test ride was indeed enjoyable.

The five modes if ride experience and excellent programming to deliver motor-like dynamics was great. Prices and battery limits are biggest roadblock for me... Fir now anyway. Going to keep a trip log fir the rest of the season to see whether the range concerns are real or imagined.

At this time, back to back, I prefer the R3 for fun factor.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electric still has a long way until it's viable option. The range immediately goes to **** once you hit highway speed.
For in-town commuting, I can see the attraction. For long hauls, not. Electric vehicles remain on a tether of charge time and range. Where a refuel stop takes a few minutes, a recharge is an hour. It's improving. Not too long ago, recharging was an overnight thing. Today, the Zero can get you back on the road in under an hour, assuming you have the supercharger port option, and can find a charge station before the lights go out. On the path the industry is on, Electrics and the infrastructure to support them properly is another 5 to 10 years out. But for local travel, they are pretty much there now. If I lived close in, and commuting regularly, I'd go electric. Ever try to find a gas station in a major city? Charge at home would be far more convenient. A second vehicle for the long trips can be either owned, or rented.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts