Yamaha R3 Forums banner

What fuel do you run in your R3?

• AKI / RON (numbers below are estimated for comparison purposes)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 87 / 91

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 90 / 95

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 93 / 98

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Higher Octane Racing Fuel

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a continuation of the previous posts. Not trying to thread block. In the previous posts there is a debate about what octanes to run in the R3. Personally I have run 91 octane exclusively, with the ocasional 100 octane vp race gas. I have never ran 87 or 89 octane in my bike. I was always told to run 91 in Raven. Since I am a budget street Rossi, the money saved by running 87 octane could help the team greatly. So my question.. Is it safe to run 87 octane pump gas in my 2015 R3?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
[email protected]# we have to run on 91??? I'm on autopilot at gas station - it never occurred to me to research. I just assumed Japanese motor = 87. I'll pump in some 91+ and compare the ride since I've been riding 87 for 1700 clicks.
Thats the great debate my dood. Im about to do the opposite and run a few tanks of 87. Turns out the 91 or higher sticker is RON?! P.s. There may be a difference in Canadian vs Usa fuel numbers?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should probably change the poll to specify the octane values a bit better. 91 in one country is completely different in another so it will mislead riders.

America / CanadaAustralia / New Zealand / Most of the world
AKI 87=RON 91
AKI 90=RON 95
AKI 93=RON 98

Our manuals appear to say the same thing but in different ways in regards to what fuel is acceptable. The code for my manual in NZ is 'YZF-R3AJ' which is different from what I saw some of you post in other threads - but it's essential saying the same thing (See below image).

What I take from that is 91 (87 in the US) octane is recommended, as are fuels with an E10 value of ethanol - that is, fuel containing a maximum of 10% ethanol. My dealer told me to run 91 (87 US) and that's what I've been running. However, I've also used high octane 95, and 98 and haven't noticed a difference in performance (I don't pay attention to mileage).

Where the octane values matter is in high compression engines where you must run a higher octane rating to avoid knocking. There's a really brilliant explanation of this in the first post in the link below. I recommend anyone who is confused to have a read of it when they have some time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should probably change the poll to specify the octane values a bit better. 91 in one country is completely different in another so it will mislead riders.

America / CanadaAustralia / New Zealand / Most of the world
AKI 87=RON 91
AKI 90=RON 95
AKI 93=RON 98

Our manuals appear to say the same thing but in different ways in regards to what fuel is acceptable. The code for my manual in NZ is 'YZF-R3AJ' which is different from what I saw some of you post in other threads - but it's essential saying the same thing (See below image).

View attachment 68111

What I take from that is 91 (87 in the US) octane is recommended, as are fuels with an E10 value of ethanol - that is, fuel containing a maximum of 10% ethanol. My dealer told me to run 91 (87 US) and that's what I've been running. However, I've also used high octane 95, and 98 and haven't noticed a difference in performance (I don't pay attention to mileage).

Where the octane values matter is in high compression engines where you must run a higher octane rating to avoid knocking. There's a really brilliant explanation of this in the first post in the link below. I recommend anyone who is confused to have a read of it when they have some time.

Youre right. It wouldnt let me change the poll, but I tried to fix it. My bad mate.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Its painful and slow going, but I think we might be close to a breakthrough here. Also it appears the poll has been corrupted. Maybe one day the powers that be will let me edit or delete said poll.

·
Super Moderator
985 Posts
Ok. Its painful and slow going, but I think we might be close to a breakthrough here. Also it appears the poll has been corrupted. Maybe one day the powers that be will let me edit or delete said poll.
I'll try to make changes if you have them. If you're through with the poll, I can delete that section. Let us know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! You are an intellegent American. Im sure you understand why I need good poll data here. If you could delete the fourth question and somehow make it relevant for riders worldwide, (AKI VS RON) that would be amazing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my neighbor works on airplane engines and has plenty of experience on jet fuel lol and he puts the highest octane into his bike for one and only one reason - To avoid having ethanol sit in his bike's tank/engine - no other benefit to him.
Apparently if you don't ride enough, the ethanol can eat away at 'rubber' in your tank/engine over the years. However, if you ride enough to burn through the tank more than once a week - he agrees with the manual's fuel recommendation. Thought I'd share his opinion cause I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On older fuel threads some guys said their bikes would knock or ping on 87 octane. Plus my Mom suggested I continue to run 91 in Raven and shes the boss. That pretty much settles it for me. I broke af and could use the $$$ saved on cheap gas, but knocking? Heck no!

·
Registered
190 Posts
my neighbor works on airplane engines and has plenty of experience on jet fuel lol and he puts the highest octane into his bike for one and only one reason - To avoid having ethanol sit in his bike's tank/engine - no other benefit to him.
Apparently if you don't ride enough, the ethanol can eat away at 'rubber' in your tank/engine over the years. However, if you ride enough to burn through the tank more than once a week - he agrees with the manual's fuel recommendation. Thought I'd share his opinion cause I thought it was interesting.
Your neighbor doesn't know **** about pump gas.In the US, there are two types of fuel, 78 and 93 octane, both contain 10% of ethanol. Pure gasoline has 75 octane and ethanol has an octane rating of 113, add 10% ethanol to regular gasoline and you get 87 octane fuel, which is what you get at the pump.Premium doesn't have less ethanol than regular when you buy it from the pump, ethanol is cheap, they are going to put the most in that they can, which is 10%.

The problem with ethanol isn't the eating away at rubber that makes no logical sense, if you keep using fuel you keep putting more in, so therefore ethanol is always present... Ethanol does combine with water quite easily, that's why its either recommended to not store your bike for long periods of time with some fuel or keep the tank topped up because the ethanol will pull the water out of the air in the tank and make water in your tank, which, if you didn't know, water doesn't burn well.

This forum is full of "I heard this", "I was told that", literally google this stuff, it's so simple...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your neighbor doesn't know **** about pump gas.
I find that is an extreme judgement call on your behalf for a professional who ran engines for his entire career of 35+ years - it could be very well be me not correctly repeating what he said.
This guy built his own motorcycle, boat and jetski engines so he must know something. I take full responsibility for sharing without understanding.

Premium doesn't have less ethanol than regular when you buy it from the pump, ethanol is cheap, they are going to put the most in that they can, which is 10%.
Shell Canada has a '0% ethanol' premium grade which should be the most popular grade for engines that are stored for the winter. Not many people know about or even care enough about it.
I discovered this link only today while googling.

so therefore ethanol is always present..
Guess it depends on each Country?

if you didn't know, water doesn't burn well.
But does wonders when it freezes - darn I forget at what temp!:unsure: Bing/Google time.
You should come up north for a visit in Jan/Feb to check some winter sports if you haven't already! I might join you.

This forum is full of "I heard this", "I was told that", literally google this stuff, it's so simple
It's very true! I believe most of us here are learning from each other and also get facts corrected by more experienced individuals like yourself who can break it down in basic English. (i.e. ethanol sucks water out of air). Search engines don't necessarily point me in the right direction and if they do, the sites/videos use words tend to be from a different language and I lose interest. More fun learning from live individuals than sites IMHO.

Thanks for contributing and I'll make sure to be more effective in my fact sharing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don’t the higher octane fuels have more additives (which I assume are good) and are more refined / refined to a higher level? Maybe less likely to get a bad tank?

Also, the bike has a compression ratio of 11.2:1, which is high compared to a regular car engine. Does that just mean that the timing is retarded from the factory to run cheap gas?

Has always seemed like a false economy to me to run cheap gas...Spending thousands on a bike and then skimping a few cents per litre on an already very fuel efficient engine seems illogical. Why risk pre-detonation for a couple bucks at the fill up?

Bracing myself for the schooling that is probably about to come my way...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don’t the higher octane fuels have more additives (which I assume are good) and are more refined / refined to a higher level? Maybe less likely to get a bad tank?

Also, the bike has a compression ratio of 11.2:1, which is high compared to a regular car engine. Does that just mean that the timing is retarded from the factory to run cheap gas?

Has always seemed like a false economy to me to run cheap gas...Spending thousands on a bike and then skimping a few cents per litre on an already very fuel efficient engine seems illogical. Why risk pre-detonation for a couple bucks at the fill up?

Bracing myself for the schooling that is probably about to come my way...
Not in the US, that's what the petroleum companies want you to think. The quality is much higher than it was in the late 80's but it's pretty standard all around if you go to a station that doesn't have fuel sitting for weeks (rural areas).

·
Registered
17 Posts
unrelated question but can anyone respond or pm me suggestions as to what the top r3 forums are? I am new to bikes in general, and just got a r3, and just want to be in the forums with the most people, not saying anything is wrong with this site tbc, just wondering if I am missing any others or what the biggest one is

1 - 20 of 37 Posts