Yamaha R3 Forums banner

What fuel do you run in your R3?

• AKI / RON (numbers below are estimated for comparison purposes)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 87 / 91

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 90 / 95

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 93 / 98

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Higher Octane Racing Fuel

Votes: 1 5.6%
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ooo. This debate is getting nice and heated. Its a beautiful thing to watch great minds debate. This is how we progress. I respect all riders.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I find that is an extreme judgement call on your behalf for a professional who ran engines for his entire career of 35+ years - it could be very well be me not correctly repeating what he said.
This guy built his own motorcycle, boat and jetski engines so he must know something. I take full responsibility for sharing without understanding.

Shell Canada has a '0% ethanol' premium grade which should be the most popular grade for engines that are stored for the winter. Not many people know about or even care enough about it.
I discovered this link only today while googling.

Guess it depends on each Country?

But does wonders when it freezes - darn I forget at what temp!:unsure: Bing/Google time.
You should come up north for a visit in Jan/Feb to check some winter sports if you haven't already! I might join you.

It's very true! I believe most of us here are learning from each other and also get facts corrected by more experienced individuals like yourself who can break it down in basic English. (i.e. ethanol sucks water out of air). Search engines don't necessarily point me in the right direction and if they do, the sites/videos use words tend to be from a different language and I lose interest. More fun learning from live individuals than sites IMHO.

Thanks for contributing and I'll make sure to be more effective in my fact sharing.
Yes, we are all learning from each other. There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind. Ive accidently posted alot of bad info on here, just to have it corrected by members. Now I know. Asking "dumb" questions, and learning from my many fails and mistakes is how I grow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This one. I think there's a facebook group of some sort but never looked at it.
No disrespect to this site again but if thats the case that is incredibly depressing. I just opened a fuel quality post from 2015 and it had a total of 150 responses...it was the top thread under that topic. I haven't really been in a forum much since I was young and the Toyota Camry specific forum had exponentially more activity...I preferred the smaller communities but the bigger sites were just a goldmine of info from people who'd done it all.
I admit to having not used forums much myself in ages, so I guess I can understand it, but still depressing. It makes sense that would all have migrated to Facebook from a convenience standpoint I guess but at the same time all of that info is now completely de-centralized making it all but useless, vs. the forum model which served as an encyclopedia of auto ownership of any given model. shame

what prompted this question was the observation that only a handful of people had voted in the thread's poll, in case anyone is curious

·
Registered
166 Posts
the Toyota Camry specific forum had exponentially more activity...
I'm not really sure what you expect? Here's a couple of reasons why:
  • A quick Google search shows that Toyota sold 336,978 Camrys in 2019 and that's just in the US. I'd be interested to know if the R3 even came close to that in world wide sales
  • Camrys have been around since 1982 so the community has been built up overtime. R3's have only been around since 2015 - that's 33 years longer than the R3!
  • R3s are typically a beginner bike so most owners move on to larger bikes, so they don't stick around on the forums.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should probably change the poll to specify the octane values a bit better. 91 in one country is completely different in another so it will mislead riders.

America / CanadaAustralia / New Zealand / Most of the world
AKI 87=RON 91
AKI 90=RON 95
AKI 93=RON 98

Our manuals appear to say the same thing but in different ways in regards to what fuel is acceptable. The code for my manual in NZ is 'YZF-R3AJ' which is different from what I saw some of you post in other threads - but it's essential saying the same thing (See below image).

View attachment 68111

What I take from that is 91 (87 in the US) octane is recommended, as are fuels with an E10 value of ethanol - that is, fuel containing a maximum of 10% ethanol. My dealer told me to run 91 (87 US) and that's what I've been running. However, I've also used high octane 95, and 98 and haven't noticed a difference in performance (I don't pay attention to mileage).

Where the octane values matter is in high compression engines where you must run a higher octane rating to avoid knocking. There's a really brilliant explanation of this in the first post in the link below. I recommend anyone who is confused to have a read of it when they have some time.

forgive me if this is already pointed out but I noticed this in the manual, so I would gather this is euro and US 91 is minimum not 87.

here’s another line that baffled me though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not really sure what you expect? Here's a couple of reasons why:
  • A quick Google search shows that Toyota sold 336,978 Camrys in 2019 and that's just in the US. I'd be interested to know if the R3 even came close to that in world wide sales
  • Camrys have been around since 1982 so the community has been built up overtime. R3's have only been around since 2015 - that's 33 years longer than the R3!
  • R3s are typically a beginner bike so most owners move on to larger bikes, so they don't stick around on the forums.
This was more a commentary on forum usage in general now versus 10-20 years ago. The Camry solara was a 2 door variant from 99-06 and the site I’m talking about was just for that model, much like r3 forums, even adjusted for discrepancies in numbers sold there’s a massive difference. Having said that I don’t blame the r3 or it’s owners or this site, again the Facebook presence for r3’s is exponentially larger and that’s just depressing to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not in the US, that's what the petroleum companies want you to think. The quality is much higher than it was in the late 80's but it's pretty standard all around if you go to a station that doesn't have fuel sitting for weeks (rural areas).
That’s the one downside to gas stations not being owned by the gas companies here, that variance can be much larger than places where shell for example owns shell stations, but overall I agree with your statement

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Ok. New twist on this debate Fam..
Which brand pump gas do you prefer? Ex.. Been feeding Raven Shell 91 cause her crew chief works there. All pumps closed. Went to Mobil 91, and noticed a difference from Shell? Cheveron 91 was different too? Now Vp 100..
Noticeable performance gains..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your neighbor doesn't know **** about pump gas.In the US, t......
To add...The reason you don't want to keep ethanol gas in anything that doesn't get used regularly is what is known as "ethanol phase separation." Google image search it...my whole life is cleaning out fuel systems of this crap. Run real gas...you can find at pure-gas or your local track/marina/sunoco.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A little update - I've been running Shell Canada's 91 (best they sell) for about 500kms now. I don't know if the weather also plays a factor since its been high teens low 20s Celsius.... but my last few rides have been fantastic. My noob judge of "performance" is based on 2 things I noticed right away.
1st - Vibration at cruising on straightway was significantly less
2nd - The actual power, the way the engine revved up/down each gear was just so much smoother. Not to mentioned sounded beautiful on stock exhaust.

On my last ride, I had to gas up at some random no brand gas station, the way back home was exactly like my first 2 months with the bike running regular - so I noticed an apparent difference on the same day of ride. Obviously I'm not factoring in how tired I must have been towards the end of the day but still. I'll keep using the premium gas for now.

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
It's good you're comfortable enough to start noticing changes with the bike's character. If someone researches a product, or even stumbles upon it, and likes it's performance.. all's good. It may be interesting to see if the new fuel matches or improves your MPG. I have a link below to a website that allows you to log in and track your mileage, and compare it to others with the same vehicle. Simple task that's kind of entertaining.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Outstanding debate riders. I have learned much from you all. Anyone check on the poll? Its leveling out. Also someone is running only race gas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It may be interesting to see if the new fuel matches or improves your MPG
I should have touched that point! thanks @airhead83 for the reminder.
Instead of 370~390kms I was getting previously, I'm now closer to 420~440 which is pretty good for the $ difference. Still working on an average! Looking forward to try out that link.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thats a good vid my dood. It would appear that the general vibe regarding fuel selection is to just use what your owners manual recommends? Since our team broke Af.. Im running 87AKI and saving about a buck a tank. Now the ethanol/ detergent factor is a who!e different debate..

21 - 40 of 43 Posts