Yamaha R3 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can handle the oil change myself, and probably the chain tension thing too.

But does anyone have a list of what bolts are checked on the first tune up, and tightened to what specific torque values?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I took mine into the dealer for the first 600 mile mark service. I hear all these people saying that "You should do it yourself to save money." Well, the thing is that I make a lot, so I went ahead and saved time by spending the $248 for the first service. I know I could have done it myself, but I had better things to do. lol Plus if for any reason something was wrong, i could blame the dealership and have them fix it for free. It would save me the hassle if I were to mess up for any reason.
I'm not too stressed for cash myself, but I disagree on principle with paying an absurd upcharge for work that I can do on my own. That being said, I completely understand the valuation of your own time outweighing the cost. Thats generally how I measure stuff too.

My dealership would certainly have charged $100-250 for the service and it would have taken them 30 minutes tops. I have never worked on a sport bike before and it took me about an hour to do the break-in service, which I did on Sunday morning. I spent about $50 for a brush, chain degreaser, chain wax, a drain pan, funnel, K&N filter and 4L of fresh Yamalube. I also spent $40 on a Venom rear spool stand. Most of that was essentially overhead. Next oil change I will only need the $10 filter and the oil (of which I still have 2L left!). Might switch over to synthetic, which will be about $40-50 for 4L instead of $22.

It was a great experience for me to learn how to do the basic maintenance, I think everyone should take the time to learn it. Sure, saving $100-200 was nice, but the experience the real benefit. Oddly enough, I feel a lot more comfortable and connected with my bike now that I know how to take care of it. It felt great to learn something new and I personally enjoy the idea that I am not at the mercy of the dealership for basic maintenance anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I took my bike in yesterday for a peace of mind, I'm more than capable of doing the work myself, this is just my first bike and would rather have someone else do it. The OTD price for the 600 mi. service was $141, which wasn't too bad, plus if you bought your bike new Yamaha should have sent you a $50 off service coupon at a Yamaha dealer (if you complete a survey), which could've saved me more money. The tech at the dealer I went to also had an R3 which made it that much better in my eyes, but from here on out I'll be doing all maintenance by myself.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I took my bike in yesterday for a peace of mind, I'm more than capable of doing the work myself, this is just my first bike and would rather have someone else do it. The OTD price for the 600 mi. service was $141, which wasn't too bad, plus if you bought your bike new Yamaha should have sent you a $50 off service coupon at a Yamaha dealer (if you complete a survey), which could've saved me more money. The tech at the dealer I went to also had an R3 which made it that much better in my eyes, but from here on out I'll be doing all maintenance by myself.
I didn't think about using the coupon! Are you sure dealer service/labor is eligible for discount with the coupon? I could see it just being parts, since dealerships make most of their money on service.

$141 isn't bad at all, and if the tech had an R3 too that is just a bonus! I didn't even get a quote from my dealer, once I saw how straightforward it was i just decided to go for it haha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I didn't think about using the coupon! Are you sure dealer service/labor is eligible for discount with the coupon? I could see it just being parts, since dealerships make most of their money on service.

$141 isn't bad at all, and if the tech had an R3 too that is just a bonus! I didn't even get a quote from my dealer, once I saw how straightforward it was i just decided to go for it haha.
Yes! I had called the next day to see if it would work on a future job and they said yes. The $50 coupon is off of service and the other coupon is $10 off Yamaha genuine accessories/apparel if your total is above $50. My co-worker is taking his R3 to the same dealer with the coupon, so I'll find out for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My local independent shop - good reputation and kind of racing and tuning oriented - charged $80. Oil and filter, adjusted the chain tension, checked everything over. I'll probably do it myself from here on out but as I live in a condo I don't have a garage and a great place to keep the stand, tools, etc. I've usually done my own minor wrenching: just logistically harder where I now live.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this post is sort of old but I'm trying to find out the oil filter that Van uses in the STG R3 first service video... I found out the 300v motul full synthetic oil 10w40 but I tried looking for the Vortex filter and found like 4 different types. Anyone know which one he uses? I'm at 650 miles on my R3 and I'm trying to get all the stuff done. I am forced to use my bike to get to work and stuff so I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Also this may be the stupid question but the crusher washer is a drain plug right? I've heard people use them and I'm sure they're the same thing but at the same time I'm not sure. Thanks for the help guys. I come here whenever I have questions since everyone seems so nice.

Funny story, as I finished this comment and was about to post it, the fire alarm went off at my workplace so technically this reply took me an hour and a half to write :p

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I know this post is sort of old but I'm trying to find out the oil filter that Van uses in the STG R3 first service video... I found out the 300v motul full synthetic oil 10w40 but I tried looking for the Vortex filter and found like 4 different types. Anyone know which one he uses? I'm at 650 miles on my R3 and I'm trying to get all the stuff done. I am forced to use my bike to get to work and stuff so I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Also this may be the stupid question but the crusher washer is a drain plug right? I've heard people use them and I'm sure they're the same thing but at the same time I'm not sure. Thanks for the help guys. I come here whenever I have questions since everyone seems so nice.

Funny story, as I finished this comment and was about to post it, the fire alarm went off at my workplace so technically this reply took me an hour and a half to write :p
Does it have to be the same one he uses? PureOne 14610 filters work just fine. I use those for my bikes. They are $6.50 on amazon.

The crush washer is a washer, not a drain plug. It fits under the drain plug though, if that is what you mean.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Vortex OF301

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
:p
OK, a couple of related threads:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/54129-yamaha-r3-faq-how-mega-thread-read-first.html
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/530-oil-lube/4441-oil-filter.html
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/530-oil-lube/3866-lets-talk-engine-oil.html
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/530-oil-lube/54473-drain-plug-crush-washer.html

This thread is intended to help with information concerning procedures and costs for initial service - information concerning specifics of oil, filters, etc., is in the Tech section.

Jun - please copy or move info on the Vortex to the oil filter thread - thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I didn't search all 14 pages, but I found this video extremely informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Td36PTo59k

Step by step how to of how do perform the first service yourself on our bikes.
It even has links to buy all the tools and supplies as well as some tips that I found pretty helpful.

Woods in Austin charges $250 for a first service. All of the supplies and tools to do it yourself come in well below that number (Assuming you have basic wrenches, it's about $90). Plus once you learn how to do it yourself, you can do it forever, and you'll have the tools and knowledge to do a better job than anyone you would pay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the dealership do the first one because it was convenient to get it done while I was at work before I left for the weekend. Time, parts, and tax cost me 87 dollars total. Money well spent so I could hop on the bike after work and take off for a few days immediately.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the dealership do the first one because it was convenient to get it done while I was at work before I left for the weekend. Time, parts, and tax cost me 87 dollars total. Money well spent so I could hop on the bike after work and take off for a few days immediately.
Sounds like your dealer actually charges fair rates, lol. Definitely a good price to pay for some peace of mind. I'm glad I did mine because I learned a lot, but I did worry for a while that I would mess something up.

I was talking to a guy on reddit the other day who's dealer quoted him $500 for the break-in service!! Felt so bad I gave the buy a two page message breaking down how to DIY with a bunch of links and stuff, haha.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like your dealer actually charges fair rates, lol. Definitely a good price to pay for some peace of mind. I'm glad I did mine because I learned a lot, but I did worry for a while that I would mess something up.

I was talking to a guy on reddit the other day who's dealer quoted him $500 for the break-in service!! Felt so bad I gave the buy a two page message breaking down how to DIY with a bunch of links and stuff, haha.
That's fraking unethical. Straight robbery. How do these scumbags sleep at night? Manufacturers should prohibit dealers from charging ludicrous amounts for services performed on their machines. This is getting out of hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, a friend of mine rides an FZ-07; a different dealership than the one he bought it from wanted to charge several hundreds of dollars more. First factor I'd make sure is to get the service done at the same place you buy it if possible. My dealership knows that every time he helps me out, "hooks me up", takes care of me, etc, it means repeat business. I've bought an enormous amount of gear from him at this point as well as brought new customers to him. He also knows once my R3 is paid off (won't take long), I will be jumping head first into the next bike (FZ6R). Repeat business is what it's all about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys. Need some help. My 2016 r3 has 600 miles right niw and ready for service. My dealership sent me an email.
600 mile service is $195 + parts for the whole bike to be serviced as outlined in your owners manual.
What do you think about price and what is parts?
Need fast advice bcuz i need to response mail till tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was everyone at exactly 600 on the odometer when they did the service or anybody over/under? Reason I am curious is because I had this silly notion in my mind I'd never hit 600 miles before summer but that was a lie. I've been riding this thing quite a bit. Now the odometer reads 650 but the dealer doesn't have a spot open until next Friday 5/27. Should I park it till then or would you continue riding?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey guys. Need some help. My 2016 r3 has 600 miles right niw and ready for service. My dealership sent me an email.
600 mile service is $195 + parts for the whole bike to be serviced as outlined in your owners manual.
What do you think about price and what is parts?
Need fast advice bcuz i need to response mail till tomorrow.
3 QT of oil is about $30-$50 depending on what you use and a $10-$15 oil filter.
Chain lube and cleaner is under $20 then some simple hand tools to adjust your chain and go over the whole bike. Also check your battery terminals, stealerships have substandard mechanics or kids setting up the bike and forgetting to tighten everything. My battery had loose terminals on both +/-.

Was everyone at exactly 600 on the odometer when they did the service or anybody over/under? Reason I am curious is because I had this silly notion in my mind I'd never hit 600 miles before summer but that was a lie. I've been riding this thing quite a bit. Now the odometer reads 650 but the dealer doesn't have a spot open until next Friday 5/27. Should I park it till then or would you continue riding?
You can keep riding or why not just do it yourself instead of waiting to get ripped off?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do it yourself and save $150 bucks at least. That's like getting a free slip on if you want.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts