Yamaha R3 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Was everyone at exactly 600 on the odometer when they did the service or anybody over/under? Reason I am curious is because I had this silly notion in my mind I'd never hit 600 miles before summer but that was a lie. I've been riding this thing quite a bit. Now the odometer reads 650 but the dealer doesn't have a spot open until next Friday 5/27. Should I park it till then or would you continue riding?
I let mine go to 750m the dealer said no worries mate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
3 QT of oil is about $30-$50 depending on what you use and a $10-$15 oil filter.
Chain lube and cleaner is under $20 then some simple hand tools to adjust your chain and go over the whole bike. Also check your battery terminals, stealerships have substandard mechanics or kids setting up the bike and forgetting to tighten everything. My battery had loose terminals on both +/-.

You can keep riding or why not just do it yourself instead of waiting to get ripped off?
It'll be done for free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One thing i have learned.
It pays to be friends with the guys in the shop, meet them be cool with them. If they suck find someplace else.

First 600 mi was like just over 200. tighten up/adjust, oil, chain clean lube, etc. and gave her a bath. Is that steep, heck yes. But it's new, and id rather not give any reason for an issue and or hassle if something comes up later on. I think of it more as a cya.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought mine last year and due to all the rain and snow I barely rode the thing.... it's only at 200km according to the odo but I distinctly remember wintering it at 400km.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent thread- thank you all.

I had some info to add:

Hitching Post in Hopkins, MN
Oil Filter $19.99
Crush Washer $5.99 (for ONE washer!)
1 gallon Yamalube 10w40 $26.99
Total $56.82

They quoted me $129 labor + $50 parts (oil) + $20 parts (filter) = $200 for the break in service. They did the recall for free (but didn't change the oil during the clutch plate switch!) in two hours.

St. Croix Motorsports in New Richmond, WI quoted me $117 (labor) + $50 (parts) = $170 for the break in service

I think I'm going to do the oil and filter change myself, degrease and lube the chain, check the fluids and tire pressure and call it a day.

I'm at 715 miles and should have done this at 600 but was hoping that during the recall the oil would be changed so I could save a few bucks.. eh.

PS: Also passed my road test today!

·
Super Moderator
1,248 Posts
Crush Washer $5.99 (for ONE washer!)
Not only is DIY cheaper, but you'll probably do a better job, and certainly with more care. I've never replaced an oil plug crush washer in 25 years.

$56?! 2 qt Castrol $12 from the PepBoys eBay fire sale a few weeks ago. 7317 filter $8. You guys must be filthy rich, spending $60 or $200 at dealer on oil changes ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone here get their first service done in Canada? I just dropped the bike off at the dealer for my first service and recall work and I'm looking at 450 CAD approximately 340 USD. :crying: (couldn't find the throw up icon). Still though I'd rather them do it at this stage in the bike's life. I agree with an earlier post that this would be better money spent than blowing a wad on mods.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Anyone here get their first service done in Canada? I just dropped the bike off at the dealer for my first service and recall work and I'm looking at 450 CAD approximately 340 USD. :crying: (couldn't find the throw up icon). Still though I'd rather them do it at this stage in the bike's life. I agree with an earlier post that this would be better money spent than blowing a wad on mods.
$340 USD for about 15 minutes (oil change) 3 minutes chain tension set and a look over + $50 in parts.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
$340 USD for about 15 minutes (oil change) 3 minutes chain tension set and a look over + $50 in parts.
:rolleyes:
Yup. My theory is that dealers aren't making anything off these bikes. How could they at this price point. Well they're making it up by gouging us on the first service. First and last for me. I'll be doing the work myself from this point on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Australia.. ive heard as low as $90 and as high as $270. Dropping mine off after work today. Been quoted $140 im happy to pay this and have no stress

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup. My theory is that dealers aren't making anything off these bikes. How could they at this price point. Well they're making it up by gouging us on the first service. First and last for me. I'll be doing the work myself from this point on.
Some folks will be relieved to know that the $450 I signed off on was for the warranty claim only which the dealer needs in order to get paid for the recall work from yamaha. The first service was actually $190 CAD tax in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had my first service yesterday ($140 aud) the service dept said i can do the 5k service myself but maybe bring it back for the 10k service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A local moto garage quoted me $140 + parts for the first 600 mile service. Not sure if this is a decent deal or not. thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
A local moto garage quoted me $140 + parts for the first 600 mile service. Not sure if this is a decent deal or not. thoughts?
$140 seems to be the lowest "normal" price that I've seen. My dealer here in SoCal was quoting about the same amount. I was just going to do the service myself but they cut me a deal and I had to go in anyway for the recall service.

Since I bought the bike there, the salesman told me to bring back the survey from Yamaha so that he could "help" me fill it out. He then took care of the labor for my 1st service so I only paid $33 OTD which was for parts. YMMV, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Super Moderator
1,248 Posts
I did my first service myself on my bike, is it too late to get it checked by a dealer?
It's at 1300Miles currently
lol, the dealership is always ready and happy to take your money! What are you going to ask them to check? If the oil level is correct?

·
Registered
135 Posts
$30 parts, $90+ labor @dealership. going rogue from now on in maintenance. gonna have to learn up on valve shimming later on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Took my bike in for the 600 mile service yesterday after 8 months of mostly commuting to and from campus four days a week. Service Mgr. said the service was a "glorified oil/filter change" + clean/lube change, check fluid levels and wash/detail.

$150 all in with full synthetic oil, dropped bike off at 3:00 pm, got a call today at 10:00 am that she's ready for pick-up. The sales people were the worst at the dealership, but service department on both occasions (recall done here as well) was great.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts