Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed my bike is leaking drops of coolant. yesterdays, after 20 km riding i saw a drop of coolant hanging on the coolant cover. before it, i wiped what looks like 4-5 drops of coolant dripped on the side.

i check the coolant level and it is below full, what can be causing this leak? i am going to take out the side fairing later.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i noticed my bike is leaking drops of coolant. yesterdays, after 20 km riding i saw a drop of coolant hanging on the coolant cover. before it, i wiped what looks like 4-5 drops of coolant dripped on the side.

i check the coolant level and it is below full, what can be causing this leak? i am going to take out the side fairing later.
read his posts. Going through the same thing.

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/753-yamaha-r3-garage-build-area/25697-raven-yfz-r3.html

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine did this , its just the way the cover is fitted it dislodges the coolant cap.

I removed the black sidepanel and fitted it correctly.
Its to stop the cap coming off, but care must be taken to reinstall the cover on the right angle.
The overflow hose get in the way if done wrong.

Can someone please post a diagram if they have parts or workshop maunaal, its pretty easy to see (Unless our market is different)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cap needs to be pulled & moved backward to reinstall the cover. I juat checked, and assumed it is just a not too tightened reservoir cap, since thats the only thing up there, and retightened it.

It seems the coolant in it is not moving when engine is running, maybe moving only when it is hot? Someone know?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Right when I bought my R3 it was leaking coolant from that side and had many streams of coolant on the sprocket cover below.
It took my dealer 4 visits to resolve the problem. In the end the bottle and cap were replaced. Mine was pretty bad tho. Photo at 35 miles. Now I have 525 miles but it took them till 420ish miles :D

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Coolant: A Different Leak

I've been noticing quite a bit of coolant stain at the front of the swing arm. I decided to hunt down the source today. The coolant reservoir has a breather hose that runs from the top of the reservoir up to the top of the frame and then through a small hole drilled in the top of the left side frame down tube. That tube goes down and attaches to a cross tube. The down tube's bottom isn't welded closed so obviously there is some coolant rising up the breather tube, running down the inside of the frame tube and out the bottom making the mess. The coolant level is right in the middle so I have no idea why the coolant would be traveling up the breather hose at all. The reservoir outlet for the breather is above the coolant level so I wouldn't have thought coolant would be getting in there to such an extent. I'll have to check the coolant level when the engine is good and hot. Has anyone else noticed the same stains like in the picture?

For those that are not familiar with a closed coolant system like this here's how it works. As the coolant gets hot and expands it has to go somewhere. In older applications the radiator cap had a spring loaded release valve that dumped the excess coolant on the ground. Many years back they started adding expansion tanks and sealing the system. Now when the coolant expands the excess goes into an expansion/reservoir tank. When the coolant cools off and contracts it causes a vacuum in the coolant system that sucks the coolant from the tank back into the radiator. The expansion hose always enters the reservoir below the coolant level so the vacuum will pull coolant and not air. Since the level in the tank will rise and fall there has to be a provision to vent it which is the job of the breather hose. One important point is to make sure you check the coolant level only when the engine is cold since when its hot the coolant level may be temporarily higher. It is because of the expansion of the coolant why there is always extra unused space in the expansion tank. If you over fill it then the coolant will be forced out the breather tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Coolant leak at hose that connects to engine

Just noticed a coolant leak at the hose that connects to the engine. The coolant level too in the reservoir has dropped a bit. Anyone else faced this? The hose is on tight so it looks to me like the hose needs to be changed! If so, does this fall under warranty? Attaching a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Warranty, I feel like the quality control in Indonesia is slightly pissy poor. I just bought a new raven clutch side fairing and it came with a deep scratch. Returned it for warranty to! My bike also leaked coolant at the overflow tank and all over the cover and under. Warrantied out. They will fix it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Warranty, I feel like the quality control in Indonesia is slightly pissy poor. I just bought a new raven clutch side fairing and it came with a deep scratch. Returned it for warranty to! My bike also leaked coolant at the overflow tank and all over the cover and under. Warrantied out. They will fix it.
Yea I agree. Looks like poor build quality. Just hope nothing big goes bust after my warranty is done!

Just took the bike in today. The hoses and clamps need to be replaced. It's covered under warranty so that's good

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm just at 2200 miles and everything has been good. The sprocket damper looks like it's not properly seated against my wheel. I am going to have the dealer take a look at it next week also so I can handle all my warranty question/issues and add all my modifications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coolant Leak?

Got on my bike yesterday and noticed coolant dripping from the right side (just under the water pump). It looks like the coolant is running down the hose and not leaking directly from the pump. Has anyone else had an issue like this - and what did you do? It only drips when running.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts